Brake issue after 14b sf swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clutch1819

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Done a 14 bolt sf swap on my 98 k1500. Kept the 8 lug drum brakes since all that was new when i got the axle. The rear wants to lock up at slow speed, and wants to vibrate and shake when slowing from 55. Anyone know what's goin on or had this problem?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a similar issue with mine. I've trying to figure it out for the last 3+years.
Mine vibrates like crazy from 45-55 mph.
I've replaced the wheel bearings, pulled the shafts to make sure they weren't bent.
I'd like to figure this out aswell.

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
Did you keep the axles when you swapped in the 14th or did you use the originals from the 14b.? Sounds like a balance issue between the drum and axles. .As for the lock up pr9blem..could be adjusted to tight or the shoes are dirty or contaminated. .turn the drums also. .no matter what you do.

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My sf didnt have brakes when I got it.just the backing plates.
The drums, shoes, and hardware were all new when I built the axle.I don't have the lock up issue the op is experiencing.
I just got a new yoke for it to get rid of the conversion joint I used to mate up the driveshaft to the rear end.
Hopefully that will take care of the vibration, Im also going to back off the adjusters a little bit.

Last edited:

jarede525

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you swapped did you swap in different gears? I had the same issue and having my truck tuned to the gear ratio etc seemed to fix it. It could've had nothing to do with it but I haven't noticed it lately...

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
regeared with Yukon 5.13's. I also checked for play in the pinion,and rechecked the backlash. no play, and the backlash is still within spec.
the truck had a dyno tune a couple years back. sunday I'm going to change out the yoke,install new u joints and pull the drums and inspect the shoes.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you install the brake shoes properly? As in trailing and leading edges?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Clutch1819

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine only does it when I apply the brakes. Probably gonna try turning the drums and see what happens afterwards.

Clutch1819

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be the proportioning is off with it having the larger brakes? Thought about putting an adjustable proportion valve on the frame rail for the rear. Adjust the pressure down and see of that helps. Almost seems it has to much braking power in the rear.