Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think 12.5v is horrible. Maybe check some of your electrical connections..... voltage drop maybe?

I still have the OEM injectors, which are known for leaking. I'd still get a pressure gauge on the system, Though. My pump was likely a Delphi, as it was dealer purchased AC Delco.... not super impressed with it after the fact. I don't recall how long I had it before I had the starting issue. The other thing that I did when changing pumps was converting to the new pigtail/connector. Do you have the square 4 or flat four connector? GM redesigned the connector and the Denso pump I installed came with a new pigtail.
I updated the connect, well, my shop updated it. I was planning on adding a Racetronix hotwire kit but that keeps getting pushed on down the list.
I pulled all my cables off and greased them, guess I'll keep an eye on them and take everything to be tested when I have the time. I'm sure it's something simple I'm glossing over.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I updated the connect, well, my shop updated it. I was planning on adding a Racetronix hotwire kit but that keeps getting pushed on down the list.
I pulled all my cables off and greased them, guess I'll keep an eye on them and take everything to be tested when I have the time. I'm sure it's something simple I'm glossing over.

You should be able to test voltage drop yourself if you have time. I can't explain it all, as I don't know the procedure well enough. I Googled it, and watched a couple Youtube videos when I needed to do it. It's a matter of knowing where to put your multi-meter probes, and knowing what's a good and bad reading. You would want to test both positive and negative, and also the charge wire, for voltage drop.

Side posts, if you still have them, are not really visually inspected very well, and I would not recommend grease unless you didn't have the rubber boots in places and you were only putting it on externally. I used to put it in the threads, and had issues with them staying tight. It's also an insulator.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You should be able to test voltage drop yourself if you have time. I can't explain it all, as I don't know the procedure well enough. I Googled it, and watched a couple Youtube videos when I needed to do it. It's a matter of knowing where to put your multi-meter probes, and knowing what's a good and bad reading. You would want to test both positive and negative, and also the charge wire, for voltage drop.

Side posts, if you still have them, are not really visually inspected very well, and I would not recommend grease unless you didn't have the rubber boots in places and you were only putting it on externally. I used to put it in the threads, and had issues with them staying tight. It's also an insulator.
I was going to get the alternator load tested, the local NAPA can do it; I tested the battery with my multimeter, but I also want to get it tested too. It's an Odyssey so I'm worried I'm slowly killing it; if it is in fact a charging issue.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was going to get the alternator load tested, the local NAPA can do it; I tested the battery with my multimeter, but I also want to get it tested too. It's an Odyssey so I'm worried I'm slowly killing it; if it is in fact a charging issue.

All that's great, but you're not getting the wires/connections without doing a voltage drop test.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When it rains it pours.
So the weather hasn't cooperated the last couple of days, with damn near torrential down pours I wasn't able to get out and work on the truck. I did manage to bring the crew cab home, unfortunately the furthest I've gotten on that is parking it next to my trailer.

I'm 99.9999% sure my alternator is failing now. I wasn't able to test for voltage drop due to the rain, but I was able to perform the battery cable test, and while the truck still ran, it ran very poorly.
On my way to drop my dog off at the vet this morning the volt gauge started at 14, and gradually declined along the way. Got to the vet, dropped off my dog; went to start up and leave....crank, sputter, die. Crank crank crank, sputter, die.
Crank crank, and it fired off. Getting ready to leave work at the end of the day I started the truck and noticed the battery light was on until I started driving, it turned off only to turn back on once I pulled into my driveway.

I don't know what else it could be? I'm going to run to NAPA tomorrow to see if I can warranty the alternator or at least get it tested, it's supposed to be a lifetime warranty. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Attachments

• PXL_20220712_005644183.jpg
    PXL_20220712_005644183.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220712_005706381.jpg
    PXL_20220712_005706381.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 10

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
WOW! WHAT A GREAT TIME!

I will be able to warranty the alternator through NAPA; unfortunately the replacement won't be in until Friday. So the red truck is down, hopefully I haven't hurt that Odyssey, we hooked up a tester at NAPA and the alternator wasn't going a thing.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
WOW! WHAT A GREAT TIME!

I will be able to warranty the alternator through NAPA; unfortunately the replacement won't be in until Friday. So the red truck is down, hopefully I haven't hurt that Odyssey, we hooked up a tester at NAPA and the alternator wasn't going a thing.

Can you throw a battery maintaner on the Odyssey?..... is that AGM? My NOCO is AGM compatible, but I don't know if that's common.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
The Odyssey aren't picky when it comes to chargers. Some chargers won't charge a completely dead AGM battery because the internal resistance is so low they don't know they're connected to a battery. Cheap chargers generally don't care.
You can connect another battery in parallel to raise the voltage or turn the parking lights to trick the charger into starting up.

The NOCO chargers are really nice. Momma and the kids got me one for my birthday.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The Odyssey aren't picky when it comes to chargers. Some chargers won't charge a completely dead AGM battery because the internal resistance is so low they don't know they're connected to a battery. Cheap chargers generally don't care.
You can connect another battery in parallel to raise the voltage or turn the parking lights to trick the charger into starting up.

That sounds like you're talking about a smart charger vs. an older charger that's just a transformer and rectifier. My Craftsman is the old style, and I hardly use it anymore.

The NOCO chargers are really nice. Momma and the kids got me one for my birthday.

Yes they are. I think I have thier smallest model.... actually two of them. It's got a special mode for AGM batteries. It's also got a sensing bypass for when a battery is trully dead and there is no voltage to start out. I assume an AGM needs a different charging profile compared to lead acid, but I've never looked into it, since I only have lead acid.