Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love it when I do **** and forget to post about it!

Installed the tow/haul shifter on Sunday, and couldn't get it to function, turns out I didn't have it grounded properly, got the ground done right and bam! Tow/Haul works like a dream! The truck definitely feels like it pulls harder, unless it's just a placebo effect of working on the truck.

The old shifter was so loose, it was honestly like a day away from falling off

Attachments

• PXL_20220606_221918792.jpg
    PXL_20220606_221918792.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220606_233415769.jpg
    PXL_20220606_233415769.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 16

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Progress is great.

Met up with @Mangonesailor to get some tips and have him help me with getting a few things sorted out. It's had a CEL since 2019 because I could never get it to take a CASE relearn, now it's gone!
I need to get my wideband situation sorted out, I ordered an AEM kit off Summit like a week ago and it's been pending shipment with no updates on if it's been shipped.
Anyone got another place they'd recommend for getting a wideband kit?

Attachments

• PXL_20220609_211116996.jpg
    PXL_20220609_211116996.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 15

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to meet up with you again after so long. Hard to believe it's been since '19 (Heck, I went without a VE tune for years even after the relearn).

Little note I'll post here and in the 454 thread that we figured out together. To perform the CASE relearn on the 0411 with the GMT400 (/keywords) Pins 32 and 34 on the Blue C1 connector must both be grounded. Then, apply the E-brake, apply the normal brake, and start the engine. Launch the scanner software, initialize the Crank relearn function and within 3seconds of pressing "OK" on the pop-up just put the accelerator to the floor while also pushing the brake. The CEL should turn off and a new pop-up showing the Crank relearn was a success should appear... then you can have a beer (and start checking for misfires at idle so you don't get a P0300!).

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Good to meet up with you again after so long. Hard to believe it's been since '19 (Heck, I went without a VE tune for years even after the relearn).

Little note I'll post here and in the 454 thread that we figured out together. To perform the CASE relearn on the 0411 with the GMT400 (/keywords) Pins 32 and 34 on the Blue C1 connector must both be grounded. Then, apply the E-brake, apply the normal brake, and start the engine. Launch the scanner software, initialize the Crank relearn function and within 3seconds of pressing "OK" on the pop-up just put the accelerator to the floor while also pushing the brake. The CEL should turn off and a new pop-up showing the Crank relearn was a success should appear... then you can have a beer (and start checking for misfires at idle so you don't get a P0300!).

Why wouldn't you start with the beer? And how did you figure out the rest of that rain dance?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you start with the beer? And how did you figure out the rest of that rain dance?
We were kind of right in front of his place of work. But we probably could've bribed the security guy.
Some of it was picked up from LT Tolman's video on his 0411 swap; I think it's embedded in the 454 thread?
------------
In other news, the rattle in the muffler has gotten progressively worse, so I stopped off at a couple places to get something figured out.
First shop confirmed my fears, the baffles had come apart inside. They quoted me $924 to replace everything. And while I DO plan on redoing the entire exhaust; I can't afford it yet.

So I ran down the road to a smaller shop my friend had recommended to me. For $70 he cut off the old muffler and welded in 2 new glass packs, I have no idea on the brand. They're cheap and they're good though.
I'm probably going to have an h-pipe welded in at some point to even it out.

Attachments

• PXL_20220610_164605647.jpg
    PXL_20220610_164605647.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 7

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bwahaha, yes! Glasspacks!

In any event, yes, there is a video of the Tolman guy going through the initial tuning and fire-up of his suburban with a 454 0411 swap where he explains he had to jump those wires to allow a crank relearn. After watching that video long ago I found Lextech actually posted this YEARS ago to another forum stating this had to be done on 0411s, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else.

As far as knowing the engine had to be running we pieced that in from yet another guy's post on another forum stating that the engine had to be on and the brake applied. However I think in older (maybe) 96/97s with a 0411 you have to do the jumper trick... maybe 98+ you don't. Idk, I'm just picking up the trail of breadcrumbs myself sometimes.

But at least there's, hopefully, a now google-able reference to how to do it. Maybe we'll see some more 0411 swaps then.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bwahaha, yes! Glasspacks!

In any event, yes, there is a video of the Tolman guy going through the initial tuning and fire-up of his suburban with a 454 0411 swap where he explains he had to jump those wires to allow a crank relearn. After watching that video long ago I found Lextech actually posted this YEARS ago to another forum stating this had to be done on 0411s, but I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else.

As far as knowing the engine had to be running we pieced that in from yet another guy's post on another forum stating that the engine had to be on and the brake applied. However I think in older (maybe) 96/97s with a 0411 you have to do the jumper trick... maybe 98+ you don't. Idk, I'm just picking up the trail of breadcrumbs myself sometimes.

But at least there's, hopefully, a now google-able reference to how to do it. Maybe we'll see some more 0411 swaps then.
96/97 definitely have the jumpers. If you look at a factory ECM you'll see where the plugs go.
------------
After driving around with the glass packs some more, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about them, I'm definitely getting an H-pipe, but now I'm debating on putting two decent sized resonators ahead of the mufflers.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96/97 definitely have the jumpers. If you look at a factory ECM you'll see where the plugs go.
------------
After driving around with the glass packs some more, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about them, I'm definitely getting an H-pipe, but now I'm debating on putting two decent sized resonators ahead of the mufflers.

I totally understand that. If it seems too loud now, just wait until you hook the camper up and make it work. For hours. Totally irritating.

I have a magnaflow and glass packs. Still wish it was quieter.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I totally understand that. If it seems too loud now, just wait until you hook the camper up and make it work. For hours. Totally irritating.

I have a magnaflow and glass packs. Still wish it was quieter.
I'm betting I would like my exhaust more if it was full 3", the muffler I want to run once I redo the entire exhaust is the perfect balance of aggressive growl but not obnoxious like the glass packs.
I feel like my straight piped 350 was quieter than the glasspacks on the 454.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, you do have 150+ more cubic inches going through glasspacks that MIGHT still have decent packing in them... or the wool is clogged and you basically have straight pipes.

If you're comparing to my truck Brody, the magnapaks are probably 150% the size of standard glass packs in all dimensions. They're 3", but the last 3' or so of exhaust on each side is 2.75". This was to attempt to assist with having decent back pressure for my current HP output. At some point when I do pull my engine and build it, then those pipes will be replaced with 3" ones.

Maybe some undercoating to cut the drone would help? I would suggest wearing a tyvek suit though while applying, it flies everywhere