Bowtie Brody's Namesake 96 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm betting I would like my exhaust more if it was full 3", the muffler I want to run once I redo the entire exhaust is the perfect balance of aggressive growl but not obnoxious like the glass packs.
I feel like my straight piped 350 was quieter than the glasspacks on the 454.

Ok. I was assuming that your exhaust was too loud for your liking. It sounds like you just don't like the tone.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok. I was assuming that your exhaust was too loud for your liking. It sounds like you just don't like the tone.
Too loud and not a fan of the tone, maybe it's just me getting old before my time.
Well, you do have 150+ more cubic inches going through glasspacks that MIGHT still have decent packing in them... or the wool is clogged and you basically have straight pipes.

If you're comparing to my truck Brody, the magnapaks are probably 150% the size of standard glass packs in all dimensions. They're 3", but the last 3' or so of exhaust on each side is 2.75". This was to attempt to assist with having decent back pressure for my current HP output. At some point when I do pull my engine and build it, then those pipes will be replaced with 3" ones.

Maybe some undercoating to cut the drone would help? I would suggest wearing a tyvek suit though while applying, it flies everywhere
Could be, my buddy who ran glasspacks on EVERYTHING through Highschool said to give it a couple hundred miles and they should start to sound better.

Undercoating is in the plan regardless, that and pulling the interior out for sound deadener. All it is now is time and money, I've got one or the other.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fifth wheel rails almost installed, still need to get the frame mounts all bolted in and then torque everything down.
Plans for leveling the bed are going to involve either horse stall mats or a super thick truck bed mat. Unsure yet.

Attachments

• PXL_20220618_222713723.jpg
    PXL_20220618_222713723.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 9

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well the truck seems to be jealous of the work I've been doing to the crew cab. My new AD244 isn't charging, battery is at 12V but doesn't advance, and unhooking the ground lets the truck keep running.

Luckily it's a lifetime warranty part, and to be fair, this alternator did sit in the box for about 2 years in non-climate controlled buildings.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well the truck seems to be jealous of the work I've been doing to the crew cab. My new AD244 isn't charging, battery is at 12V but doesn't advance, and unhooking the ground lets the truck keep running.

That stinks.

Luckily it's a lifetime warranty part, and to be fair, this alternator did sit in the box for about 2 years in non-climate controlled buildings.

That shouldn't affect anything. I pressure wash mine, and regulatory heat it to 200F, which I don't think is easier on it than sitting. The old 12si I put on my Buick Electra sat in my dad's garage and then shed for several decades and had dead stink bugs in it. You got a bum rebuild, in my opinion.

Do you have the origonal CS144 you can throw on, in the mean time, if need be? ....or was it bad?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That stinks.

That shouldn't affect anything. I pressure wash mine, and regulatory heat it to 200F, which I don't think is easier on it than sitting. The old 12si I put on my Buick Electra sat in my dad's garage and then shed for several decades and had dead stink bugs in it. You got a bum rebuild, in my opinion.

Do you have the origonal CS144 you can throw on, in the mean time, if need be? ....or was it bad?
I'd have to change plugs for the CS144, and the cold CS144 was still charging but the shaft/bearings were starting to sound not good.
Could be a bum rebuild, wouldn't be the first time.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still battling alternator problems, got back after my 4 day weekend at the beach and went to fire the old pig up to run some errands and it spit and sputtered and fired off but died, cranked for a solid minute or so before it fired up but it rain like crap for a couple minutes until it smoothed out with the occasional shudder; plugged in the scanner but couldn't find any codes. Voltage is jumpy too, went about an hour today and the gauge would go from showing 10-volts to 14-volts intermittently.
I'll need to hook up my scanner to verify, I know you can't trust these clusters but this one has been so good for so long.

As mentioned in the "What did you do to your 400 today" thread; here's my free.99 topper! It's rough, but it's not too rough to save. I'm going to pull it off, hose it down with degreaser and hit it with the pressure washer tomorrow, hopefully I can knock off a good amount of the paint on the windows. Don't ask me why, the guy I got it from said it was like that when he bought the truck it was on, it's been painted up like that for 10+ years going off what he was saying.

This is going to be the most expensive free thing I'll have on this truck once paint, a new front window to replace the missing one, and a roof rack are taken care of. Oh! And new clamps since it's got my wood working c-clamps holding it on currently!
The money I'm going to put in won't be an astounding amount, but either way I'm not planning on letting this one go; even if I do, I'll no doubt get my money back since it'll be so nice by the time I'm done, or so I hope.

Attachments

• PXL_20220707_000118605.jpg
    PXL_20220707_000118605.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20220707_000126923.jpg
    PXL_20220707_000126923.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20220707_000134375.jpg
    PXL_20220707_000134375.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20220707_000146638.jpg
    PXL_20220707_000146638.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 6

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Still battling alternator problems, got back after my 4 day weekend at the beach and went to fire the old pig up to run some errands and it spit and sputtered and fired off but died, cranked for a solid minute or so before it fired up but it rain like crap for a couple minutes until it smoothed out with the occasional shudder; plugged in the scanner but couldn't find any codes. Voltage is jumpy too, went about an hour today and the gauge would go from showing 10-volts to 14-volts intermittently.

What's the voltage on the battery, engine off, at the battery terminals? The rough start reminds me of how my truck would start sometimes when it had been running, but shut it off for 30-45 minutes before a restart. It was low fuel pressure, and possibly a bit of leaky injector. I never checked the fuel pressure, but when the pump finally quit and I replaced it, the hard start went away.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's the voltage on the battery, engine off, at the battery terminals? The rough start reminds me of how my truck would start sometimes when it had been running, but shut it off for 30-45 minutes before a restart. It was low fuel pressure, and possibly a bit of leaky injector. I never checked the fuel pressure, but when the pump finally quit and I replaced it, the hard start went away.
12.5 volts. No good.
It has it's moments with hard starting, this is the first really hard start it's had in some time. Fuel pump is 2 years old, it's a Delphi and I really hope it's not that, injectors are 5O Motorsports Blue Knights and the FPR is a couple months old.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
12.5 volts. No good.
It has it's moments with hard starting, this is the first really hard start it's had in some time. Fuel pump is 2 years old, it's a Delphi and I really hope it's not that, injectors are 5O Motorsports Blue Knights and the FPR is a couple months old.

I don't think 12.5v is horrible. Maybe check some of your electrical connections..... voltage drop maybe?

I still have the OEM injectors, which are known for leaking. I'd still get a pressure gauge on the system, Though. My pump was likely a Delphi, as it was dealer purchased AC Delco.... not super impressed with it after the fact. I don't recall how long I had it before I had the starting issue. The other thing that I did when changing pumps was converting to the new pigtail/connector. Do you have the square 4 or flat four connector? GM redesigned the connector and the Denso pump I installed came with a new pigtail.