Bought my first truck, help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Do you have a 6 inch suspension lift?

Ah sweet thanks. Yeah I guess there's more risk with any lift than without. I guess the only thing that allows suspensions lifts to have an "edge" on against body lifts when it comes to safety and roll over is maybe you can have a greater choice of tires.

The reason I want to go with 35s is because it seriously looks weird when you have a lift and very small tires. (IMO) I dont think 33s are too small so I'll have to weigh the pros and cons.

How did you guys figure out what the total height of the entire wheel would be given the tire specs? For example, 275/60R20 is roughly 32.99 or 33, but this is because I pulled up a chart that said so. It stopped at 33" and doesn't have all the combinations so I don't know what dimensions I would need for 35" height.

Google tire size calculator, its on miata forum, put in the metric measurement and it gives you the standard size

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Google tire size calculator, its on miata forum, put in the metric measurement and it gives you the standard size

Thank you.

EDIT:

Does my truck look lowered?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
The truck in my signature is my truck. As for the swap, there's no welding or "jerry rigging" involved. Changing the bumper brackets is probably the most time consuming part as it involves taking your bumper off, but it's only held on with 8 easily accessible bolts. Other than that you have to wire in the pig tails to the existing wiring, but the wires are color coded and there's nothing to it. I paid maybe $100 for all the parts needed for mine, although since then I put in brand new headlights and lenses. The entire swap took me maybe two hours and I was in no rush.

As for the benefits, the aftermarket is huge for the composite style lights (two headlights per side), plus the light output is much better. They also look a hell of a lot better, too.

Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk 2

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Thank you.

EDIT:

Does my truck look lowered?

It doesnt appear to be lowered, also cleared up the whole 2wd or 4x4 question, you do not have torsion bars so you would need lift springs or lift spindles for the front and blocks for the back, its a little more involved than leveling a 4x4

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Also in the last picture it appears as tho the front left fender has been replaced at some point, the color looks a little different and its the only body panel with the molding, also to answer the question about why the passenger side takes a different key, it is very common on these trucks for the door handles to break, it was probably swapped out and whoever did it didnt take the time to switch out the lock cylinder

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also in the last picture it appears as tho the front left fender has been replaced at some point, the color looks a little different and its the only body panel with the molding, also to answer the question about why the passenger side takes a different key, it is very common on these trucks for the door handles to break, it was probably swapped out and whoever did it didnt take the time to switch out the lock cylinder

Yeah I actually noticed that too. In daylight you can't tell the color is different but you can tell in that night picture. And the moulding too which I may just pull off.

It doesnt appear to be lowered, also cleared up the whole 2wd or 4x4 question, you do not have torsion bars so you would need lift springs or lift spindles for the front and blocks for the back, its a little more involved than leveling a 4x4

So you can only use torsion bars on a 4x4? Mine is 2wd, solid axle in the back and the front is just what the pictures show above. If so that sucks. How difficult or expensive is it to get lift springs or lift spindles installed?

The truck in my signature is my truck. As for the swap, there's no welding or "jerry rigging" involved. Changing the bumper brackets is probably the most time consuming part as it involves taking your bumper off, but it's only held on with 8 easily accessible bolts. Other than that you have to wire in the pig tails to the existing wiring, but the wires are color coded and there's nothing to it. I paid maybe $100 for all the parts needed for mine, although since then I put in brand new headlights and lenses. The entire swap took me maybe two hours and I was in no rush.

As for the benefits, the aftermarket is huge for the composite style lights (two headlights per side), plus the light output is much better. They also look a hell of a lot better, too.

Can you give me more details on about your car? I like how its similar to mine so I can kind of get an idea of how it would look. Do you have any lift? is it a 4x4? body lift? what size tires and rims is that?
Regarding the swap, I looked at my junk yards and they dont really have any 94 sierras in. Can I just buy aftermarket composite housings and then get the rest of the stuff like the plastics or is it even possible to do this swap with purely aftermarket parts?

I read this answer here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091210082436AApb0mu
Is it true that it's interchangeable with trucks from 91-98 and the SUV from 91-99? If so then I'll have a much easier time finding the parts.

Since I want to install an HID kit, I can get aftermarket parking light housing + pigtails, aftermarket turn signal housing + pigtails and aftermarket headlight housing right? The grill and bumper brackets are the only things I need that are OEM?
How would wiring the hi beams work with this situation? I'd like to go from the single sealed beam to the composite with a HID kit that has one for hi beams and one for low beams.

Last edited:

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I am unsure on the difficulty or cost, there are some members on here who have the 4" spindle lift, , 93sierrawt's truck is 4x4, also on the 2wd they sit lower from the factory so 33s will not fit unless you lift iirc

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
Yeah I actually noticed that too. In daylight you can't tell the color is different but you can tell in that night picture. And the moulding too which I may just pull off.

So you can only use torsion bars on a 4x4? Mine is 2wd, solid axle in the back and the front is just what the pictures show above. If so that sucks. How difficult or expensive is it to get lift springs or lift spindles installed?

Can you give me more details on about your car? I like how its similar to mine so I can kind of get an idea of how it would look. Do you have any lift? is it a 4x4? body lift? what size tires and rims is that?
Regarding the swap, I looked at my junk yards and they dont really have any 94 sierras in. Can I just buy aftermarket composite housings and then get the rest of the stuff like the plastics or is it even possible to do this swap with purely aftermarket parts?

I read this answer here: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091210082436AApb0mu
Is it true that it's interchangeable with trucks from 91-98 and the SUV from 91-99? If so then I'll have a much easier time finding the parts.

Since I want to install an HID kit, I can get aftermarket parking light housing + pigtails, aftermarket turn signal housing + pigtails and aftermarket headlight housing right? The grill and bumper brackets are the only things I need that are OEM?
How would wiring the hi beams work with this situation? I'd like to go from the single sealed beam to the composite with a HID kit that has one for hi beams and one for low beams.

My truck is 4x4 with no lift. Torsion bars are cranked to level. Not sure off hand about my tire size but rims are 17" Cragar Soft 8s.

Yes, you could get the aftermarket lights and they will work fine. You could probably find the pigtails on eBay as well. Keep in mind that these grills were not only offered on 94 Sierras, they were offered on all 94+ Sierra and Yukon of the gmt400 model. LMC sells reproduction grills, along with bumper bracket kits, but they would be more pricey than finding them in a junk yard.

Also, with the composite style light one side is for low beam and one side is for high beam. You would have to get two sets of HIDs.

Last edited:

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am unsure on the difficulty or cost, there are some members on here who have the 4" spindle lift, , 93sierrawt's truck is 4x4, also on the 2wd they sit lower from the factory so 33s will not fit unless you lift iirc

damn that's a shame. well been searching for a 1994 c2500 leveling kit and there is no such thing. That or im not aware of cross compatibility with other years and models. That sucks that they decided to do that with the 2wd..
Even if I get a 3" body lift, it'll have the rake look which will bug me so much.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
damn that's a shame. well been searching for a 1994 c2500 leveling kit and there is no such thing. That or im not aware of cross compatibility with other years and models. That sucks that they decided to do that with the 2wd..
Even if I get a 3" body lift, it'll have the rake look which will bug me so much.

All 88-98 chevy/gmc 2500 2wd will have the same suspension, i dont believe there is a leveling kit, you woild have to get lift springs, spindles, or deal with the rake