Bought my first truck, help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my first truck just something cheap for transportation.. 1994 GMC Sierra 2500 SL.

I have a question.. WHY does the headlight on some GMC Sierras look different than most. Most of them especially on google images have two stripes like this:
You must be registered for see images

but mine and a few others I see have a single headlight like this
You must be registered for see images attach

I tried asking the previous owner and he didnt know. Is it a special edition thing or something I'm missing? I searched but found NOTHING.

Second, the truck came with 20" chrome rims. I dont know the tire sizes but the tires are due for a change so i figured it'd be a good time to get either a leveling kit or a body lift kit. If I get a 3" body lift or a 2" leveling kit, can I keep the 20" rims or would I have to get different wheels? I really dont want to mess with gearing or any of that stuff and most of it is just aesthetics and me liking to drive higher off the floor and I think a body lift kit or a leveling kit will do with big tires.

If i want modestly "big" tires, what are my options with my 20" rims and the lift?

Any help appreciated...

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The sealed beam headlights are a W/T (work truck) trim level feature. They are the lowest trim level made by GM.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
clean looking truck, if you are going to lift it, I would go 4inch kit, because I don't like body lifts, and if you crank 2" and put a block in the rear you would probably have some bad angles on your front axles.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Buying a leveling kit for these does no good on a 4x4, they will give you no more lift than your factory torsion keys will, if you want to lift go either body lift or a lift kit, since your options were bl or leveling kit im assuming your wanting to go the cheap route which body lift would be the best bet, with a 3" body lift some trucks can run 35s and some can only run 33s, rim size doesnt matter but the bigger your rims are the more expensive the tires will be, also with 35s its recommended to regear but not completely necissary just beware that your mpg will drop as will your power

Last edited:

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
It would not be hard for you to do a grille and headlight swap if you wanted to. If you have the money to spend you should get a 6 inch suspension lift, you can always decrank the front if its to high for you. This way in the future you wont be banging your head wondering why you didnt just get the the 6". If you dont want to spend that much money, I suggest a body lift 3". Your rims are nice! yes you can keep them and put some nice 33" meats on them. Nice hood to, im looking to get one.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way you explain it you want a pavement princess. just aesthetics get your 3in BL and just get gap guards.

Depending on the size tire wrapped around your rim you could fit em. Just tell use the measurements or tape measure them. MAX you can run with a 3in body is i believe 35s/

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
My truck also came with the sealed beam headlights. It is possible to switch to the newer design, although it takes some work. I suggest finding the parts at a junk yard unless you want to spend big bucks. You will need the 94+ grill of your choice (Chev or GMC), the parking lights and pigtails, the corner lights and pigtails, and the bumper brackets as the grills stick out more and the bottom filler piece will not fit.

Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk 2

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow thanks guys. Got more help than I was expecting. Okay so it looks like I got a base model. It really doesn't bother me in terms of how it looks, single headlights look fine. But I'm curious is there any functional difference between this trim feature and the "double headlight" look? More lighting?

Yeah sorry to disappoint but that truck picture I posted isn't mine... Mine is this one:

So you can see it's in excellent condition for a 20 year old car but that's with a "20 year old car standard". It has some weird things that isn't a big deal, things like for some reason the guy said you need to use a separate key to open the passenger's door. I dont know what that's about.. one key for the driver and ignition and then one key for the passenger door. I ran an autocheck and the thing came out super clean except a few failed emissions (california) a few times but ended up passing each time a day later. No accident history. Looking down the side of the thing there are no weird curves or anything suggesting frame damage or side impact and the door is flush, paint matches so maybe the guy switched out the door panels I dont know. The guy I bought it from only had it for like 9 months, the previous owner actually did some stuff with it like he was apparently a mechanic so he would race it or something I have no clue.

You can see there are like two gas caps, but the one on the left is a dummy and doesn't open and the owner before the guy I bought it from did all the stuff himself and said he took great care of the car. Apparently he used it for a "propane tank" or something? No clue, it doesn't even open.
The back of the lift gate thing has this huge block decal that says "Chevolet" like the newer trucks do even though it's a GMC, and the front hood I guess was replaced cause the red is seeping through and there's a small part where it's not lined with the passenger front fender. Little things like that. Overall though the engine and tranny seems strong and it needs a new tire cause the back one is leaking major air and has stress cracks everywhere.

I originally wanted a car under $900 to just get from point A to point B. No more than 3-5 miles distances, only used for local errands and maybe small moving from home depot and stuff for the renovation at my house. Just a basic emergency car used sparingly. But someone told me a very wise and helpful tip, which was that anything that is older than year 2001 or something, it DOES NOT matter about the year or mileage. It's the condition of the vehicle and upkeep. So i bumped up my budget to $1500 or less and still 99% of the cars had some issue here or there. Tranny slipping, "small tranny leak", engine issues, check engine light, smog doesn't pass in CA, whatever. Found this truck yesterday for $2000, the guy took $1850 cause he was going to pay $170+ labor to get that back tire fixed.

I ALWAYS do this, I try to go cheap and tell myself "it's going to be a beater" or its just something I can neglect and abuse but then I end up spending more for better stuff, then envisioning a future with the stupid thing and now I started looking into personalizing it a little bit and enhancing it so to speak.

But yeah to respond to everyone, I am looking to spend not much money. If I had more money, it was a newer car, or if it was my daily driver I'd get higher lifts and drop a grand or more on getting suspension lifts but it's not my daily driver, it was more for a weekend vehicle and a project vehicle. I also bought the car to learn some mechanics and want to be able to do repairs on my own within a few years. I only installed a cold air intake once so got a lot to learn. Looking for CHEAP and budget. Most of the time I'm pretty saavy on ebay and craigslist and get quality stuff on really good deals, you just got to be patient. I'm willing to wait a few weeks or a month or two to get a decent piece at a low price so it's doable.

Looks like body lift kit 3" is the answer then. What are the pros and cons of running 33s vs 35s? Someone said less power, worse gas mileage with bigger tires? What size is the 1994 Sierra 2500 NORMALLY? 30"? 27"? I want to go as big as possible without jeopardizing my safety by hugely increasing roll factor or decreasing my gas mileage MPG by like 5, cause that would suck.

You can see the 20" alloy rims in the pictures above.. It's not bad it's just so costly to get tires for 20" rims. I would PREFER something else maybe with different spoke pattern or something less blinged out like black rims but beggars cant be choosers and it's probably a better look than stock.
So rim size doesn't change anything as long as the overall rim+tire=wheel size is 33" or whatever height i am going for correct?

My truck also came with the sealed beam headlights. It is possible to switch to the newer design, although it takes some work. I suggest finding the parts at a junk yard unless you want to spend big bucks. You will need the 94+ grill of your choice (Chev or GMC), the parking lights and pigtails, the corner lights and pigtails, and the bumper brackets as the grills stick out more and the bottom filler piece will not fit.

Sent from my SGH-T959P using Tapatalk 2

Thanks man. Because I bought this car as something I can learn auto repair and mod work on, I wouldn't mind going to the junk yard and picking up these stuff and trying this conversion. The only thing issue is I dont want to start anything I can't finish. Do you have to be really good with cars to do this? Like fiddling with electrical and jerry rigging or welding is not something I have any experience with. The most experience I had was removing the bumpers and installing a cold air intake in a Celica like 8 years ago. But hell, if i could find all those parts why not? It would be a fun project.

Is the red truck pictured your conversion or just a different truck?

Last edited: