Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Probably. I had to repair that area of the frame. There's no drain hole in the bottom of that swoop in the frame.

I'll likely drill a small drain hole there now after seeing what I've seen. No cancer in there thankfully. I snapped a pic today of the stance, but don't have a good empty shot of before, so here's my best attempt. Before (Nov 2017):

You must be registered for see images attach

After:

Before pic has 5 or 10 psi in the bags and after is at atmospheric. The rake looks more GMT800, really hoping for good hitch trajectory this weekend when I set it all up. Also checked fluids yesterday. Found PS was 8 oz low, t-case and rear diff were down about 12 oz. Shame on me because this is the first I've checked them. I really need to flush them, but for the time being simply being full is sufficient peace of mind. Trans will be the first to get purged, it's been full since I bought the truck. I assume all fluids are original, they appear to be so. The brake fluid looked like gear oil when I purged it. Thank god this thing only registers 141k. Also noticed the right air bag line routing was not making me happy, it has been dangerously close to the 4" tailpipe ever since I installed it. Last year I heat wrapped it, but there's a witness mark on the right underside of the tailpipe if you look closely. I pulled my head out of my ass and hooked the line to the box instead of the ever moving axle which should be good for longevity too. Until the next time I yank the box and forget about the ****** thing. There's another adel clamp you can't see just above the tailpipe. The rest isn't going anywhere, but it would make me happier to have 3 or 4 clamps on the back side of that rib which may require dropping the tank. For now, this is a vastly superior solution compared to what I had.

Suddenly I realized that my wheel was off and that the truck appears to be pulling to the left, so I guess tomorrow I'll snag my alignment gear and deal with this thing yet again before it shreds more front tires. In other more productive news I did get some steel pipe from Lowes to use for the new grade 8 endlink bolts I have coming for the swaybar that is currently held up by rope.

JSlezak83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just a thought, but why not run the air line another foot forward to the cross member that the shock/exhaust hanger bolts too? That would solve the issues of clearance and bed removal, at the expense of some new air line.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just a thought, but why not run the air line another foot forward to the cross member that the shock/exhaust hanger bolts too? That would solve the issues of clearance and bed removal, at the expense of some new air line.

I don't think it'd require more line, but I would need to drop the tank to secure it to my liking. The original routing required the most line.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Going to get after the endlinks tomorrow, got my grade 8 12" bolts from m McMaster Carr today. Going to chop down the black iron pipe I got from Lowes the other day to fill the center gap. Suffice it to say I'm not impressed with the Hellwig swaybar install hardware.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Going to get after the endlinks tomorrow, got my grade 8 12" bolts from m McMaster Carr today. Going to chop down the black iron pipe I got from Lowes the other day to fill the center gap. Suffice it to say I'm not impressed with the Hellwig swaybar install hardware.

Isn't black pipe going to rust badly?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Isn't black pipe going to rust badly?

Not MI bad. I put a coat of rattle can on there.

Bar is pretty level now, too. I think the original bolts and spacers must be for a 1500.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So went ahead and liberated the flipper dually from my friend's house out to my hangar, pretty sure it'll fire up with a decent battery. Shoehorned the ******* into my enclosed yet again, takes forever to get the damn thing in the trailer for as tight as it is. Not only that, but I had to remove 7 gas cans, 5 wheels and tires, fold up my tire rack, removed the spare tire, bike, toolbox, and generator to be able to house the damn thing. Forgot what an asspain it was to get it in there.

The airbags are empty, you'd never guess there was a 6500# truck inside. I did 35 the whole way because the trailer tires were squatting fierce, didn't want to blow one. I was at least a ton over the weight rating of the trailer. I did grab an extra chain link on my WD hitch, you can kinda see the bars pointing up relative to the trailer frame.

And here's a shot with terrible lighting, seems to be my specialty, of the truck with empty bags and the near 5,000# camper loaded.

It damn near looks to have a rake to it. That 1" at the axle makes a huge difference at the hitch, will post pic(s) tomorrow once I get it finalized. Original plan was to leave dually in hangar with camper and back trailer in next to it. That was going well until the 1500 ran out of gas while backing the damn trailer in, which forced me into building the new hitch and hooking up the trailer to tweak it for ride height settings because I really didn't want to do the loading/hooking up thing more than once. I finished just before the coyotes closed in on me. Lucky for them as I had a breaker bar and a long ass pipe waiting for them. Maybe next time I'll hang out longer. . .l

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That camper is still almost comically large compared to the truck.
I see you've got K2XX mirrors; do you have any problems with vibrations? Mine shake so bad sometimes I can barely see the car behind me, I was going to put some wheel weights on the back of the glass to weight them down but I don't know if that'd work.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That camper is still almost comically large compared to the truck.
I see you've got K2XX mirrors; do you have any problems with vibrations? Mine shake so bad sometimes I can barely see the car behind me, I was going to put some wheel weights on the back of the glass to weight them down but I don't know if that'd work.

Yeah, they shake like the GMT900 style mirrors on my 1500. Just the nature of the beast with the tiny ass mounting surface we have. You get used to it.