Block drains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is a 95 k2500 6.5td. I am needing to drain coolant due to a leak at the t-stat crossover leaking. I want to drain the block because I know my mix of coolant is off due to it leaking. Also I have no idea of the age of the coolant mix. I'm sure most of it is fairly old since it leaks about a quart every 2-3 months and ive had the leak about a year. Haven't had the time or haven't been able to physically move good enough to fix it. I know shame on me for not correctly mixing it when topping off. My issue is the block drains are behind the engine mounts. To remove the drain plugs I would have to lift the engine and completely remove the mounts from the engine to get to the drains. I do not have any way of lifting the engine properly. Does anyone have any other way of getting a block drained as much as possible with out pulling the drains?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not just Prestone Flush Kit method?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck is a 95 k2500 6.5td. I am needing to drain coolant due to a leak at the t-stat crossover leaking. I want to drain the block because I know my mix of coolant is off due to it leaking. Also I have no idea of the age of the coolant mix. I'm sure most of it is fairly old since it leaks about a quart every 2-3 months and ive had the leak about a year. Haven't had the time or haven't been able to physically move good enough to fix it. I know shame on me for not correctly mixing it when topping off. My issue is the block drains are behind the engine mounts. To remove the drain plugs I would have to lift the engine and completely remove the mounts from the engine to get to the drains. I do not have any way of lifting the engine properly. Does anyone have any other way of getting a block drained as much as possible with out pulling the drains?
If you cant access the block drains, then my next question is: are there any freeze plugs that are accessible or that you want to reseal or that you want to put a block heater in?

Otherwise, the next spot would be to use a lower radiator hose. is that accessible? youre not gonna get a perfect flush in just one go, but you can do something good. DOes your diesel also have a degas bottle?

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not just Prestone Flush Kit method
I don't know how that would work properly. If I remember right it goes into one of the heater core hoses which are higher then the bottom of the block. I still would not be able to get all of the coolant out.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you cant access the block drains, then my next question is: are there any freeze plugs that are accessible or that you want to reseal or that you want to put a block heater in?

Otherwise, the next spot would be to use a lower radiator hose. is that accessible? youre not gonna get a perfect flush in just one go, but you can do something good. DOes your diesel also have a degas bottle?
It already has a block heater installed on the drivers side. I don't know how difficult it is to access it. Nothing below the manifolds are easily accessible. Especially on the passenger side. Getting the #8 injector out required 2 wobble adaptors and almost 12 inches of extensions. I don't like the idea of messing with the block heater and/or freeze plugs that do not leak. I have a feeling that if i did screw with them they will leak.

I'm not sure what you are meaning by a degas bottle. I'm assuming a pressurized coolant overflow? If that is what you mean then yes it does.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's real simple, just pop the heads off, stick a tube down in the water jacket and suck! :waytogo:
:biggrin:
LOL yeah. To bad they weigh a little bit more then a small blocks and if i go down that rabbit hole it will get head studs and checked for cracks since they like to crack. Not a expense i want at this moment.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your radiadotr also probably has a drain ,and if yo upark on a slope you could have it the lowest point
If i remember right it does. Bad thing I don't really have much of a slope to park it on while I'm doing the work. My driveway is sloped but to work on it I would have to back in and it would pretty much put me in the street to work on it. The road I live on is very narrow and people don't pay attention when there driving down it. I could see me becoming a accident victim.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
male or buy an adaptor to forward and back flush the block thru the radiator hoses.
Forward and back a few times and you will end up with straight water in the block and remove some debris. Look up the coolant capacity and add half that in straight antifreeze, add water to fill and you will be very near 50/50 mix. I also flush the heater core both ways. I use an older version of this: