Blackbear tune to disable security, rear O2s...anything else???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disabling VATS with JET's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner

Here's a screen-grab showing how one might disable VATS using JET's DST (which is pretty simple, but for the benefit of those who have never seen / done such things).

(1) Launch JET's DST
(2) Open the *.jcl config file - in this example, a "from the factory" config for my 1998 K1500 Suburban L31 4L60e
(3) Select the "Constants" menu and select option "Calibration Options"; the configuration screen will appear (see attached picture)
(4) "Check" the box for "VATS option disable"
(5) Save the file.

What's not stated here is the ECU configuration file was first uploaded from the truck's ECU using a separate JET "flash" program, and stored as a file with extension .jcl (e.g., on my laptop). The file can then be modified using JET's "tuner" program as described above. Finally, it's downloaded to the ECU using the same "flash" program used prior.

For those interested, I've ZIP'ed my .jcl configuration file and have it attached below.

Attachments

• JET DST - disable VATS.jpg
    JET DST - disable VATS.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 1998 K1500 Suburban L31 4L60e.zip
    335.4 KB · Views: 8

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can you enable highway lean?

Take a look at the image in my post just prior. There you see a "checkbox" for a feature referenced as "Economy/Normal Mode Switch". I know nothing about that option or whether it was ever deployed on an L31, but it may be related to what you've called "highway lean". Or not. Regardless,...

I'll nose around a bit more, maybe I can find some mention of a "highway lean" kind of option elsewhere in JET's DST configurations.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also on Jet's - on amazon some of the reviews say it's gotta a job to work on windows newer than 7-what system have you got it installed on?

Installing JET's DST on Win7:

This morning I installed JET's latest version 2.32 on a Win7 laptop and, if one follows JET's installation instructions closely, it was a breeze. If, however, you don't follow the instructions closely (which I didn't... perhaps 3 or 4 times over) you'll wish you hadn't given up drinking.

JET also has specific instructions for Win10 but I didn't care to try it. Maybe I will, later.

Attachments

• Read_This_First_14005.pdf
    961.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installing JET's DST on Win10:

Oh, but WAIT!!! Lo and behold, here's ANOTHER set of instructions from JET about how to install on Win10.

I haven't read these (attached) instructions, maybe they're essentially the same as what I posted just prior. This just goes to show how JET needs to clean up their documentation.

W.T.F. Someone from JET's tech writing staff ought to merge these documents and make them coherent. What's that? They don't have any tech writing staff? I'm shocked.

Attachments

• DSTWindows10-Step-by-Step-Installation-Instructions (1).pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JET's DST : "demo" version available

I noticed on JET's site they have a "demo" version of their DST program available. One can access a download, here:

It comes with three "sample" ECU files. From the filenames, I'm guessing one's for an LS 5.3L, and other for an LS 4.8L, and a third I'm unsure. I tried to open my own Suburban's file, but it refused.

I installed it on Win7. Prior to installing, I set the installer's (DST_Demo_setup.exe) compatibility by checking the box under the "Properties : Compatibility : (checked) Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3". I would try installing it the same way on Win10.

I'm not sure why JET doesn't just allow people to download and install the actual tuner program. It's not as though it's all that useful unless one has the "flash" utility that actually uploads from / downloads to the ECU. The tuner's installation files are about 59MB, not huge. There's no "license file" or such required to run it. If someone's interested I could possibly open up an FTP site and post it for access. Shhh.....

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the JET Flash software included with the JET DST bundle, or is that a separate purchase? I couldn't find much mention of it in a quick Google search.

DST comes in two forms, p/n 14005 which is for vehicles prior to roughly 2006 and p/n 14007 which is those newer.

The JET DST "kit" comes with a thumb drive that has these files / folders (pictured) which constitute all of the JET DST software for both products 14005 and 14007.

The "tuner" software is evidently the same for both, and it appears the ECU "flash" utility is the same as well, as the installers are the same size in both folders (14005 and 14007).

The installation files for the p/n 14005 product is pictured below. The installation files for p/n 14007 are similar.

Attachments

• JET DST thumb drive contents.jpg
    JET DST thumb drive contents.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 11
  • JET DST 14005 installation folder contents.jpg
    JET DST 14005 installation folder contents.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 10