Best cold air intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is also unfortunate because the Volant air duct is a great replacement for the stock hat that loves to crack where it clips on and has never had a seal available for it. On my van I was lucky to score a new TB hat before GM discontinued them, but I will say the throttle body hat as well as the elbow that sits against the firewall that the MAF mounts to on these trucks are very restrictive. The Volant is good for another 10-15 gms/sec of airflow which is about the same as the HP it adds.

The more this stuff dries up, the more I am considering a 3D printer to be able to 3d my own stuff. I would have already 3D printed a much less restrictive air hat with a 4" opening for the van if I owned one. My air hat would be a thicker version of a 2x4 wall depth 4" dryer elbow with a PCV fitting, 3 bolt flange to eliminate that dumb clip, and an o'ring groove to seal to the throttle body.

Last edited:

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm seeing that a few vendors still have stock of the 15957 part number. Be aware though, that's the older version of the kit that comes with the (IMO less desirable) oiled gauze filter.

The 150576 is the kit that comes with the dry Donaldson PowerCore filter, and I'm not seeing those anywhere including eBay.
On the Napa website it says,
  • Options include a powerful Primo air filter or the extremely effective, self-sustaining Power Core filter
I wonder if I can just swap out the better filter if it comes to it. What don't you like about the oiled filters?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the Napa website it says,
  • Options include a powerful Primo air filter or the extremely effective, self-sustaining Power Core filter
I wonder if I can just swap out the better filter if it comes to it. What don't you like about the oiled filters?
All I have run for nearly 2 decades is an oil'd filter. Work great for me.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder if I can just swap out the better filter if it comes to it.

Not sure, I'd email Volant and ask before buying one based on that assumption though. The pictures of the two kits do look a little different to my eye.

What don't you like about the oiled filters?

I've run one on my red truck twice. First in the form of a K&N drop-in filter for the stock box, and then the oiled filter that came with the K&N FIPK kit. Both of them deposited enough oil inside the intake tube to foul my MAF sensor over time. If they were over oiled it was done by K&N, as both of them did this brand new out of the box without me cleaning or re-oiling anything. I run an oiled filter on my ATV, but I'll be avoiding it on anything with a MAF in the future.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I was about to post the answer (Volant 150576) but when I went to grab a link to it I found this:

https://volant.com/collections/1997...8/products/closed-box-air-intake-15957-150576

It looks like the Volant intakes for the Vortec 5.0/5.7L trucks have been discontinued. :(

Which really sucks, because they were the only aftermarket intake kit I'm aware of that uses a sealed filter box and draws cool air from the factory fender opening. Everything else is an open box like the K&N.

I ran a K&N FIPK kit on my V6 truck for a while and actually removed it because it raised my intake air temps significantly. At this point I think sticking with the factory intake is probably your best option.
I wish I had the money to grab the 454 intake now; if they're discontinuing the small blocks I'd imaging the 454 intake isn't far behind. Hell I'd grab the small block intake too just for the sake of having one in the event I wind up with another SB Vortec.

I do wonder if it's going to be superceded by another design or if it's curtains for the 350 Volants all around?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do wonder if it's going to be superceded by another design or if it's curtains for the 350 Volants all around?

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Volant revising an already good design for 30 year old trucks. I bet the demand has dropped enough that they ran out and can't justify producing another batch just to sit on them. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the rest of the GMT400 Volant kits are discontinued soon as well.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I had the money to grab the 454 intake now; if they're discontinuing the small blocks I'd imaging the 454 intake isn't far behind. Hell I'd grab the small block intake too just for the sake of having one in the event I wind up with another SB Vortec.

yep... as soon as I heard that the 350 was n/a, I ordered one of the 454's. I'll probably grab a couple more over time.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Could you just buy one of these dumb things, use the air filter as a funny hat, and then at that point design or find another part you could put onto the smooth tube with a gaping opening, to bring the system to the fender or core support, And then work up an air filter there? perhaps a gen III LS "extra capacity" air filter box and filter ? believe the outlet of that box is similar diameter.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A few words about oil'd filters.
My dad had a shop for 25yrs, and we sure saw our fair share of sensor failures due to k&n oil in the intake tract. It'll kill MAF, intake temp sensors, and on one vehicle, we saw a collapsed rubber intake tube.
I grew up seeing this, so when I bought a dodge with a cummins, I searched for alternative air filter stuff.
What I learned was that it is the ingredients in k&n oil doing this. When using AFE oil, even in the k&n filter, there is lesser-to-no sensor failures. Of course, over-oiling with any filter oil can coat a sensor into failure.
My personal experience is with diesel engines, and I've run nothing but AFE oil in my oil'd filters, with no failures. I've advised many friends and customers to do the same, and have not heard of sensor failures since.
I would not be afraid of using an oil'd filter in the gmt400 platform, but proper cleaning/oiling procedure MUST be followed, and I personally would avoid using the k&n oil.
Your results or experience may contradict mine!