Bagged and bodied 99 c3500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any tips on removing the bed if you don't have any friends?
I have a cherry picker, in my mind I can see that working out. Just not sure the best place to lift.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a cherry picker, in my mind I can see that working out. Just not sure the best place to lift.
Beds are fairly easy with an engine hoist, IF it's the style that has extendable legs. Shortbeds are cake; a longbed is a little bit too long but you can still get it done if you're careful. Remove the tailgate to help with balance, and run a pair of heavy duty ratchet straps in an X from the holes below each stake pocket. Lift with the hoist at the cross of the straps.

You must be registered for see images attach

You see where the ram is sitting right up against the back of the bed and that's on a shorty, that's why I say it's tricky with a longbed. You want to extend the boom as far as it goes, so you also want to extend the legs so the whole mess doesn't topple over. Be careful.

I would imagine if you had the wheels off one side and frame on stands, you could come in from the side on the longbed, too. Just a thought. I haven't done it that way to remove a bed, but I did lift from the side once to replace a fuel pump on a longbed. I just ran a strap across the front stake pockets and lifted that end.

Richard

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Beds are fairly easy with an engine hoist, IF it's the style that has extendable legs. Shortbeds are cake; a longbed is a little bit too long but you can still get it done if you're careful. Remove the tailgate to help with balance, and run a pair of heavy duty ratchet straps in an X from the holes below each stake pocket. Lift with the hoist at the cross of the straps.

You see where the ram is sitting right up against the back of the bed and that's on a shorty, that's why I say it's tricky with a longbed. You want to extend the boom as far as it goes, so you also want to extend the legs so the whole mess doesn't topple over. Be careful.

I would imagine if you had the wheels off one side and frame on stands, you could come in from the side on the longbed, too. Just a thought. I haven't done it that way to remove a bed, but I did lift from the side once to replace a fuel pump on a longbed. I just ran a strap across the front stake pockets and lifted that end.

Richard
Beautiful, thank you for all of that. I was leary about those holes, seemed like alot of weight/stress to put on them.

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not much happening as of yet. Did get my bags, valves and compressors delivered. Waiting to order my tanks until I get my bed pulled so I can figure out how I want to set everything up.
Did manage to swap out the air box. I have a different setup that I will put in once I get the battery moved.
Before

Attachments

• 20230407_140933.jpg
    20230407_140933.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230407_140927.jpg
    20230407_140927.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 10

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Well I don’t have any friends, so this is good knowledge for me! Lol.

maybe at least a 60 Or 90 and get it up towards the front so It can be out of the way when you pull the inner fEnders out And maybe mount it off a bracket to the intake manifold or similar?

I hit mine all the time on dips with the top of the tires, so it’s not a want but a must do if going lower than 5” drop cause my tires are same od as stock 16s.

Last edited:

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I don’t have any friends, so this is good knowledge for me! Lol.

maybe at least a 60 Or 90 and get it up towards the front so It can be out of the way when you pull the inner fEnders out And maybe mount it off a bracket to the intake manifold or similar?

I hit mine all the time on dips with the top of the tires, so it’s not a want but a must do if going lower than 5” drop cause my tires are same od as stock 16s.
I have another section of tubing that has a bend to it, probably 60 degrees that I will swap out once I get the battery out of the way knowing that the fenders will be moved up.
Where is everyone moving that radiator overflow tank to?

ROYALTYFORGE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you wanting to lay frame? Because your inners are gonna have to come out and that battery is gonna need to be relocated if so.
Absolutely I want to lay frame. I have a piece of that tubing cut and ready to put in that will put the filter right where the battery sits for when I do relocate the battery. How difficult is it to move the battery behind the cab?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely I want to lay frame. I have a piece of that tubing cut and ready to put in that will put the filter right where the battery sits for when I do relocate the battery. How difficult is it to move the battery behind the cab?
It's easy enough to move it, just make sure you have access to it or wire in some remote terminals, and run 1/0 power back up front. Mine lands on the starter, then to the alternator, then the distribution block. I used a modified stock hold down welded to the frame, because I'm cheap, I had it, and it's under the bed, but you can fab or buy something more visually appealing.