Authenticity Forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lance 1992

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see an Authenticity Forum.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm interested in how our trucks came from the factory, especially regarding restoring them to that condition. My primary club affiliation has been the Cadillac and LaSalle Club and like many clubs, we have authenticity manuals and our primary judging classes at our car shows expect "as new" condition such as how it left the factory or possibly the dealership which are two different things. A lot of parts are available in the aftermarket and they are well made and work perfectly, but they are not authentic visually. Even some parts from GM may have changed over the years even though the part numbers are the same. Things like the plating and markings on fasteners, codes or markings on belts, hoses, and wires, proper finishes (interior and exterior), upholstery patterns, window markings and tint levels, ... this list is extensive.

I suppose it could be a series of threads, but a separate forum might maker more sense.

Thoughts?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The show-car level perfectionists aren't really a thing around here. Most of these trucks are still working hard. But I'm opinionated, and trying to duplicate "factory" markings on a vehicle that likely never had them is anathema to me. If there's a handful of people who want it, I wouldn't complain.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Lance, I think you are probably the only person who would participate in said sub-forum, but I could be wrong.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like knowing what was actually factory OEM and how it's changed over time. It was news to me that what comes out of the AC Delco box isn't the same as 'GM Genuine' or even the same quality as what was installed on the production line.

That being said, yeah not a lot of concourse restorations on these trucks and mine is last on the list for authenticity but I do enjoy knowing what was right, if possible. The third gen guys are big on this stuff. Don't get em started on PF25 oil filters.

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I agree with the others. GMT400s were mass produced and the possibility of owning a rare truck is minimal, unlike other collectible cars where OEM is a premium. I've tried to keep my truck as original as possible, but have used parts that were not GM specific (Ex: Radiator overflow, Washer fluid tank, tail light/marker light lenses). I do appreciate the effort that many people put into restoring their vehicles, but there's too many aftermarket parts available for our trucks and OEM is not available sometimes (except maybe pulled/used). All of that, plus custom one off builds are now getting the same money or often more money recently than original restos. I just don't think the effort is worth it right now for GMT400s. Maybe it will be in another 20 years for low mileage examples or full frame off restos.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree that interest and participation might be limited, but I think this is a cool idea. Even without a separate sub-forum it would be nice to have a thread somewhere. Maybe the Body/Paint section or Member Trucks?

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would be neat to see, but my question would be who is the "Marc Worman" of the GMT 400 world???
I like seeing these trucks as original as the day they rolled off the lot, but I LOVE seeing what can and has been done to customize them to whatever suits the needs, wants and desire of whoever owns the truck at the time.

Someone need to get ahold of Velocity and tell them we need the "Graveyard Cars" of the 400 world ....way more produced than Mopars. Lol
Bigger audience appeal.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lance, I get where you’re coming from. It would be an interesting sub forum or thread to compile information regarding their original form. I try to get as close to OEM as possible on certain things.

Participation would be limited I’m sure.

On the other hand, I’ve seen your questions and threads before and you certainly do have an eye for detail.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to know about all the special whatnots and features. Like the power mirror switch on the door of 2dr blazers, and the extra sporty bolsters on the 454SS seats. I spent hours figuring out the closest paint match to the early truck interior bezel silver is allegedly Duplicolor BGM0522 Perfect Match Storm Gray. Do I use this information? No. But I have it.