Audio upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like your right tilt cabinet saw and out-feed table! :waytogo: Is that a Bessemer 60" fence? What brand saw?
I love the setup!! It allows me to cut full sheets by myself without killing my back!! The saw was already in the shop, and I haven't really noticed the name brand on the fence..... im sorry bro! Haha

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Wh4t3v3rs I’ve been seeing a lot of plywood boxes lately. Seems back in the day 3/4mdf was all the rage. Is there a reason for the plywood other than it being a better material IMO.
The reason everyone has started using Birch is thats what all the big SPL guys use, and they are all over YouTube. I personally have been using it way before the popularity!!! For me, its easier to work with. No countersink and pilot holes, lighter, and you can put less screws and be closer to edges without splitting out..... when I do big power builds I incorporate both MDF and Birch. That MDF is just so freaking dense!!!

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or...
If you want to simply paint your box and want a nice smooth finish, you can try MDO.

www.clp-inc.com/what-is-mdo-plywood/
Honestly, I couldn't tell you the last time I built box and it didn't sound freaking killer!!! So, I don't really venture to far from what works for me! I know there's probably newer, cooler, and maybe better, but I'm old school!

Wh4t3v3rs

I got real bass!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yea that’s nice. I e never worked with birch ply, I was always told that sound waves passed through it because it wasn’t dense enough which didn’t make sense to me because you want the box to be as stiff as possible so it dosent cancel the sound waves as it’s flexing. I figured ***** ply was stiffer than mdf. I wanted to special order a sheet of Hdf just to see how much of a difference there was.
If you got that kind of power to need HDF, you can just layer MDF inside of Birch! Amazing box!!!!!