anyone know where i can get a new rear end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattyJ

Resident Nats fan
Reaction score
Hi all, well about 14 months ago when i first got the truck (93 ECSB, 2WD 1500) i totally redid the rear end, it was so totally FUBAR that i am suprised it lasted this long after the repair. Had to put new shims, carrier bearings wheel bearing, and pinion bearing in it cause it was all TRASHED. my best guess is the fool who had this poor truck before me tried to redo it himself and didnt set it up right. so i rebuilt everything and set it up to where it was supposed to be, but now its making noise again, and kind of grinding slightly at first acceleration from a stop. i have a feeling the whole thing is just to screwed up from the last time it failed. so i want to buy a complete assemble rear. they are extremely scarce around here in junk yards and ebay has nothing -_- so i was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction? any help would be appreciated :)

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the 8.5" 10 bolts are known for failure in these trucks. I had a 1990 K1500 ECLB that I did once on my watch and my father has the truck now and did it twice himself. This is over many, many miles and the last failure was the bearing races sheared off of the carrier. Not a commoon failure by any means. The truck has almost 300k on it now.

Look for a 454SS 14 bolt 9.5" rear (1990 has 3.73s and 1991-1993 have 4.10s). They are the only 5 bolt 14 bolt rears available that will be a direct bolt in. There is also a 6 bolt (heavy duty half ton) and 8 bolt (3/4 ton - 2500 series) version available, but then you will not have matching wheels to your fronts.

Bonus is, If you plan on any more power than stock, this will support it for a long time.

MattyJ

Resident Nats fan
Reaction score
the 8.5" 10 bolts are known for failure in these trucks. I had a 1990 K1500 ECLB that I did once on my watch and my father has the truck now and did it twice himself. This is over many, many miles and the last failure was the bearing races sheared off of the carrier. Not a commoon failure by any means. The truck has almost 300k on it now.

Look for a 454SS 14 bolt 9.5" rear (1990 has 3.73s and 1991-1993 have 4.10s). They are the only 5 bolt 14 bolt rears available that will be a direct bolt in. There is also a 6 bolt (heavy duty half ton) and 8 bolt (3/4 ton - 2500 series) version available, but then you will not have matching wheels to your fronts.

Bonus is, If you plan on any more power than stock, this will support it for a long time.

sweet thats some good info thank you bud!

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I have a G80ed 10 bolt with 300k on it, lots of towing and no issues. I replace the oil every 25k. But if you have a choice, go with a 14 bolt. The only reason one from an SS is nice is because it is already 5 lug but you can use a rear from nearly any 2500 and up truck. If you use a one ton, as opposed to a 3/4 ton, you'll need to have the perches moved and welded. Simple to do, and cheap to have a machine shop do it for you. The biggest reason to stick with a 10 bolt 8.5" is because you won't have to replace the axle shafts or find new wheels. Chances of finding a 454SS rear isn't good, especially if it is hard just to find a standard rear. If you use a 4x4 or 2500LD rear you will need to either change the front rotors to 6 lug and buy new wheels or change the rear axle shafts to 5 lug.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you're going to rebuild the 8.5, lose the Gov-Loc posi unit that GM used in these trucks. G80's are better than the usual stock G60, but the better idea is to swap in an Eaton or Auburn style posi. They are way better for performance, plus they are re-buildable, whereas the Gov-loc's aren't even worth re-building or even trying to open up.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
....If you use a 4x4 or 2500LD rear you will need to either change the front rotors to 6 lug and buy new wheels or change the rear axle shafts to 5 lug.
Not familiar with the 2-wheel-drives, but I thought you'd also need to change out the front hub/bearing, the lugs go through the rotor. Are 3/4 ton (8 bolt) hubs interchangeable with 1/2 ton (5 or 6 bolt) hubs? I realize some 2500s had 6 bolt hubs, too.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with the 2-wheel-drives, but I thought you'd also need to change out the front hub/bearing, the lugs go through the rotor. Are 3/4 ton (8 bolt) hubs interchangeable with 1/2 ton (5 or 6 bolt) hubs? I realize some 2500s had 6 bolt hubs, too.

On 2wds thet studs are actually pressed into the rotors. So inorder to swap from 5 lug to 6 lug (or vice versa) you just have to swap the rotors