Any problems removing oil pump when distrubutor shaft is removed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I hope everyone has been well. I've been freshening up my 5.0L Vortec in my 1998 K1500 with parts like a new spider injector to replace my horribly leaking old unit. I ended up having to replace my lower intake (broken heater outlet caused a crack in the manifold attempting to remove what was left). I ended up pulling the heads tonight too just to look everything over. I thought I may as well. I'm considering dropping the oil pan while I'm doing all of this to check rod and bearing condition and replace my now 20 year old oil pump for peace of mind.

If I remove my oil pump and its plastic driveshaft will there be any issues since my distributor shaft is out (I removed it from the back of the engine when I pulled the lower intake). I also thought of getting the steel oil pump shaft to replace the plastic nylon unit as added insurance. Thanks guys!!