answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff1953

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we changed the tranny in a 98 Chevy 1/2 5.7 4l60e, before install we put in a shift kit and a corvette servo, and now it does nothing, what should I do first make sure it is pumping fluid or change the servo back I am kinda stumped.

Reaction score
I got a ? To ask to anyone that know something about transmissions i have a 1995 gmc Yukon had it bout a year and half almost 270000 when bought it dude said it had a shift kit in it and was wondering if this is normal it shifts hard from first to second not as hard but still firm from 2nd to 3rd then 3rd to 4th even less i feel like i have power lose coming from somewhere but dont know if its the worn out moter or trans oh trans does it the same everyday it gets less noticeable the warmer it gets

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
97 with 222k miles. Bang and jerk leaving home this morning. Winding out between shifts now and not going into OD. CEL came on, but I don't have my scanner with me. I'm guessing the bang and jerk can't be good.

Edit: also, no reverse. Code is 751 (solenoid). I think it's a little more to it than that

Last edited:

Fooz1227

Reaction score
I'm brand new to this. Forgive me if this has already been addressed. I have looked through a lot of good information here. I have a 94 gmc sierra 4.3 liter with the 4L60e transmisssion. I paid some one to work on my truck a while back, they hooked up my shift linkage incorrectly. I was going down interstate when shifter jumped (by itself) from OD to reverse while doing 75mph. I had the transmisssion replaced. Now, when going down interstate doing 75mph with cruise control set, it jumps out of overdrive and my rpm's start racing higher. I am some what mechanically inclined however, I have never had to work on transmissions before.Please help

hush777

Reaction score
Been fighting a problem with my G20 van (yes it is my work truck).
Looking for any help or advice anyone can give me.
94 G20 5.0 4l60e
Got a rebuilt trans supposed to come with all the newest TSB'd item installed.
5 year warranty.
Installed the trans and took it for a test drive.
No 1st or 4th gear.
No codes listed.
Called company they said 1-2 shift solenoid is bad.
I can bring the vehicle side of the wiring harness up through the dog house hole so testing is pretty easy.
Changed out the solenoid with the one from the old trans.
Still no 1st or 4th.
And the engine revs a bit on the 2 to 3 shift.
If I ground the wire for the solenoid at the computer the solenoid clicks on. Seems like maybe the computer went bad.
Ordered a new computer and tested the solenoid with my old internal harness hooded up to the new computer clicks on like it should.
Hook the harness back up to the trans and still no 1st or 4th.
Looked on the cardone (new computer) web site, it says that the TCC solenoid can cause the computer to fry.
Finally got a used computer (tcc might have fried the new one), new internal wiring harness and both 1-2 and 2-3 solenoids.
Found a copy of '4L60E_80E_CODE_BOOK' and went through the trouble shooting for the 1-2 solenoid.
Have proper voltage on the E (pink) wire so I don't think there is any problem with the ignition switch.
have 23 Ohms going from the E wire to both the wires for both the solenoids at the computer (harness at the computer disconnected)
Hook the harness back us and have 12+ volt going from the E wire to both solenoid wires. Key on. CODE BOOK says that is correct.
No or low voltage would indicate the solenoid drivers in the computer is shorted to ground and computer needs replacement.
Took my old harness and hooked up my old solenoids, turn key on 2-3 clicks but 1-2 doesn't switch 1-2 solenoid over to the wiring for the 2-3 and it clicks. The one that clicked in the 2-3 doesn't in the 1-2. Can ground the 1-2 wiring at the computer and it clicks on.
Checked resistance on the 1-2 solenoid wire going through my old harness and it is only .2 ohm and infinite going to ground.
During a test drive I have a volt meter hooked up to the E wire and the 1-2 solenoid wire showed 12+ volts when the vehicle would normally be in 1st and then no voltage when it would be in second and third then back to voltage when it would be in 4th. So seems like the computer is doing it's job properly just the 1-2 solenoid isn't acting properly.

My next thought for testing would be to run a new wire from the computer to the connector (vehicle side) for the 1-2 shift solenoid.

Any other thoughts from anyone?

Thanks in Advance
Hush

hush777

Reaction score
Couple more things I thought about.
Manual shifting does not change anything.
At 55 when slowing down and I shift from OD to 3rd the engine rpm's go us slightly, so I think the torque converter clutch is working correctly.
Thanks
Hush

Last edited: