answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 Tahoe randomly downshits really hard, it seems to do it the most when I'm going over 45mph,but once again it's extremely random. I also have a clunk or a bump feeling sometimes when I come to a stop and taking off from a stop, this also is very random!

I've also experienced the clunk from a stop. Thought it was my ujoints/rearend.

That1997GMC

Reaction score
I just bought a 1992 Chevy K2500, the trans is missing 2nd and OD/4th. When I let off of the gas pedal it acts as if the clutch is disengaged, anybody have any ideas? Need rebuilt or a new trans?

Zach Beckman

Reaction score
I have a 1995 tahoe 4wd. Recently replaced the transmission with a rebuilt one from gm dealer. I initially replaced it because of a failing torque converter but the last 4 years I’ve had a harsh 1-2 shift and from park to either reverse or drive would slam into gear. I had replaced the tps a couple years ago and found no change. Well I replaced the transmission and the torque converter issue is gone but I still have the harsh shifting. Any thoughts?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen a vid of a guy greasing the driveshaft going to the trans yoke. Idk if it's right or not but I was gonna try it to see if my clunking isn't so harsh. He lube the splines where the shaft moves in and out depending on forward or reverse

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen a vid of a guy greasing the driveshaft going to the trans yoke. Idk if it's right or not but I was gonna try it to see if my clunking isn't so harsh. He lube the splines where the shaft moves in and out depending on forward or reverse

If greasing the yoke works, you found the problem. That's only a temporary fix though. The permanent fix is replacing the yoke with a new nickel plated one from GM. Check out this thread.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/heres-your-fix-for-the-tahoe-yukon-driveline-clunk.30421/

nhyrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I think I have case 16. It seems to really only happen when it's hot(when I parked it last night, it was almost "oops, all neutrals, this morning I went to move it getting the street to the driveway, since the street is sloped, to check fluid levels, and she moved fine, and felt normal. Last night I noticed it slipping a lot, on the way home if I got going really more then about 30, it would disengage entirely, I would let off (only giving it about 5-10% throttle, max) and it would shift into the next gear. It's also making what sounds like a completely busted ac compressor noise when running, in park. The truck has no ac, and the sound sounds like it's coming from the bell housing area, so I was suspecting of the pump when I parked it, but after moving it this morning, I'm not sure (made the noise both last night and this morning)

I ordered both the epc and boost valve. Am I on the right track?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk