answer to any 4l60e trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TacosnBeer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if the guru's still check this thread but, I posted my 4L60e issues here: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/tps-and-tranny-cant-get-along-under-load.53134/page-3#post-1165746

My issue isn't listed in the original post

basics:
- 98 GMC 2wd swapped in carbed 350... B&M TPS, wired correctly 4L60e running off stock computer
- runs, shifts, drives fine until its under load... hard throttle or incline - then, the OD seems to bounce between 3rd/OD If I am at dead stop and floor it, the shifting gets a little weird too... if I put it in 3 and drive it that way it is significantly better but still acts a little weird with random shifts
- no noises, no overheating or problems going into gear
- Speedo is currently 10ph fast... and tends to bounce when the tranny acts weird.. with the fuel gauge
- She also pops the low voltage TPS code

Got the truck this way and havent been able to figure it out. Checked the wiring, played with the tps adjustment a little, and nothing helps. Am I doomed to take it into a shop to diagnose?

Last edited:

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just come across this post and thought I'd offer my 2cents with anyone having issues with a TCC SOLENOID CODE P1860 on 95-00 4l60e and 2000up p1870 on 4l60e,4l65e,&4l70e. I had a freshly built 4l60e 1000hp stage 2/3 transmission built in 2016 that we replaced solenoid and valve body to find out a $15 part on eBay solved the issue. There's also a couple of transgo kits that are a little more expensive it covers the same issue repair but with more parts,I personally don't know anything about the transgo other than my transmission had it listed on the invoice but the eBay $15 part fixed. I'll list them in order by year from 95 up.
Look at this on eBay

93-on
Look at this on eBay

96-2006
Look at this on eBay

2000-2003
Look at this on eBay

2004 & up
Look at this on eBay

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just come across this post and thought I'd offer my 2cents with anyone having issues with a TCC SOLENOID CODE P1860 on 95-00 4l60e and 2000up p1870 on 4l60e,4l65e,&4l70e. I had a freshly built 4l60e 1000hp stage 2/3 transmission built in 2016 that we replaced solenoid and valve body to find out a $15 part on eBay solved the issue. There's also a couple of transgo kits that are a little more expensive it covers the same issue repair but with more parts,I personally don't know anything about the transgo other than my transmission had it listed on the invoice but the eBay $15 part fixed. I'll list them in order by year from 95 up.
Look at this on eBay

93-on
Look at this on eBay

96-2006
Look at this on eBay

2000-2003
Look at this on eBay

2004 & up
Look at this on eBay
Good information - Thanks

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Transmission flares on all upshifts. Not really slipping. Everything I've found says flaring typically occurs on a 1-2 or a 2-3 shift? I've seen nothing about both.

#16 or #30 seems plausible.

Anyone dealt with this issue before. I've got a filter sitting on the shelf but don't want to spend the time to change it if the transmission is just about done. It will probably end up at a shop but I have a feeling "it needs a rebuild" (whether it actually does or not).

Prat

Reaction score
Hey guys third time pulling this trans 98 gmc burban 5.3 4L60e first time was flex plate cracked, second time was front pump input gear cracked, now I’m about to pull again. After 2 hour drive I stopped at a light and she wouldnt engage drive again. I tried every gear and nothing. Towed it home and hooked up scanner, started and she would go into all gears just fine for about 30 seconds and then back to neutral. Hooked scanner up to it and after waiting a bit and starting again scanner verified transmission prnd switch going to drive but as I sat there holding brake after about 30 seconds it would unload and prnd switch says P/N. Replaced PRND switch no fix. Fluid level good no crazy noises and for that 30 seconds she pulls hard and strong then just slips back into neutral.

06June1944

Reaction score
New to me 00 z71 tahoe (OBS). 213k.
Bought in Feb and drove it 250mi home. No prob. Had no prob from Feb-may. Drove on the interstate to a buddies house and it was hot. 90’ that day. Got caught in traffic due to accident. Shift from 1-2 was BRUTAL. I legit thought I got rear ended. Had to deal with it for 6/7 times until traffic broke. Drove 30 more mins to friends house, cooled down. Had no codes and no issues until august. Decently warm day (upper 80’s) drive her on a county road @ 55mph for 30 min to and 30 min back. Got almost home, stopped at a light and BAM. 1-2 again was brutal. This time it threw a code “trans component” I can’t remember specifically (I think I have a pic on my phone, I’ll look it up).

Anyway, the truck runs perfectly fine when I make local trips - even in 100’ temps. It’s really only when im on the interstate for a period of time and it’s hot outside.

Only work I’ve done that could *possibly* have any issue, is I replaced the entire cooling system including the radiator (b/c it had a crack). However there were 2 radiators for this truck a std. and one with RPO code BAL (about 1/2 inch thicker than std). I checked my glovebox, no BAL code. Spoke to 2 dealerships, they had no clue. And so I ordered the std. well. I’m a moron and should’ve just measured it b/c the old radiator had a big fat BAL sticker on the underside. These radiators have an integrated oil and trans cooler and idk if the me using the thinner one is an issue, but I’m not running hot engine wise (replaced the temp sending unit and it’s accurate now). And I’m not towing so I don’t think it could be that. But, any recommendations on trans temp install threads would be welcome. I’m not against putting one in if I can get it to look classy.

I’ve done a mountain of research and have come to the opinion it could really be anything. Was planning on dropping the pan and replacing 1-2 accum piston, solenoids, filter and doing a soft flush on her - but I don’t want to pee away money when I should just take it to a shop instead. And one more curveball, I need the truck for a wedding in mid oct. Wedding is about 40 miles from me and so I’m sort of on a time crunch. Thoughts?

Edit. One last request. I also have that wonderful gm rear end clunk. Anyone got a link to the preferred nickel-plated yoke? Thanks in advance my guru family. Willy appreciates ya.

Last edited: