Another LS swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A lot of people just avoid the 8.1 because they aren’t easy to find replacements. Aftermarket parts are expensive and they just want the easy way out. If a person looks for a while they can find good 8.1 engine and Allison 2wd trans. I Kmow a guy who has a bunch but it’s all 4x4

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A lot of people just avoid the 8.1 because they aren’t easy to find replacements. Aftermarket parts are expensive and they just want the easy way out. If a person looks for a while they can find good 8.1 engine and Allison 2wd trans. I Kmow a guy who has a bunch but it’s all 4x4
From the bit of research I've done on the 8.1, they are heavier and have some oil issues, the earlier ones anyway. The consensus seems like if you don't need to tow anything, and I don't other than a$$, the 6.0 is the better choice as it's lighter and can get more power easier.

The LS swaps are figured out pretty well by now, easier to get parts and info of anything is holding you up.

And ya....you know as well as I do, up here anything 2wd is pretty rare unless it's a van or some sort of fleet rig that's probably been beat on pretty hard.

Not sure I know enough about the Allison trannies that I'd wanna mess around with them. I believe they are bigger than even the 4L80'S and I don't feel like hacking up my floor.

But maybe with some more research I'm sure the 8.1 will take a 4l80 and maybe have to get you to reach out to your source and see what a 8.1 goes for up in these parts. I tried Kijiji and could only find full vehicles for sale or generic "we sell engine" ads.

Edit.....the only reason I'd do a 8.1 is cuz I love to be different. If my boy still had his old truck, a 5.7 Hemi swap would still be on the table!! Lol

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally I’m stuck on the L-96 6.0 with 6 speed auto 2wd combo they are more common than you would think. I normally buy a whole donor vehicle for swaps. I almost grabbed a 2wd chassis truck with this combo for $2500 with the flat deck removed already and sold off with some cosmetic issues. Wife wasn’t so excited by my find.

I do agree that when not towing the 8.1 offers very little over the 6.0. But they all need a good tune and long tube headers to get an honest baseline.

That being said for an older truck it’s a lot of hassle making the wiring work so it’s best to go for what you really want. My L-96 6.0 is a big jump up over a 99-06 6.0.

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personally I’m stuck on the L-96 6.0 with 6 speed auto 2wd combo they are more common than you would think. I normally buy a whole donor vehicle for swaps. I almost grabbed a 2wd chassis truck with this combo for $2500 with the flat deck removed already and sold off with some cosmetic issues. Wife wasn’t so excited by my find.

I do agree that when not towing the 8.1 offers very little over the 6.0. But they all need a good tune and long tube headers to get an honest baseline.

That being said for an older truck it’s a lot of hassle making the wiring work so it’s best to go for what you really want. My L-96 6.0 is a big jump up over a 99-06 6.0.
Ya, in my heart I know it will most likely "just" be a 6.0 I end up with. Getting a 6 speed would be the icing on the cake.
Even with just a cam, headers and tune I'd be almost double the power over the TBI 5.7.
And then I'm sure someone (not naming names here) will try and convert me to the turbo lifestyle!!!! Lol

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

If you call 150-200 ft/lbs off idle through 3,000 rpm nothing over a 6.0L, sure. At 80 mph, my Tahoe would accelerate with the converter clutch locked in overdrive quicker than a 6.0L does in 2nd gear at the same speed. Loads of torque to actually accelerate the thing. Push the pedal hard enough to hit 3rd and it is gone.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you call 150-200 ft/lbs off idle through 3,000 rpm nothing over a 6.0L, sure. At 80 mph, my Tahoe would accelerate with the converter clutch locked in overdrive quicker than a 6.0L does in 2nd gear at the same speed. Loads of torque to actually accelerate the thing. Push the pedal hard enough to hit 3rd and it is gone.

Torque doesn't accelerate, we're really talking about the rate of change in power output.

The 8.1 seems like overkill for a half ton pickup, if that's what we're talking about. I doubt you can use that power without doing something about traction.

TonyM

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone is wanting an 8.1 I know where there are 2 of them. Still in trucks and been sitting for almost 2 years because they both need a TB or something to do with the fuel injection, I can't remember exactly what it is,,,,but the part does not exist. No oem, no aftermarket and none used. The shop these trucks are sitting at ordered the part from an ebay store down in the US, paid for it and waited a month for a shipping confirmation just to have the order cancelled cause they didn't have the part.

I wouldn't be swapping one of those engines into anything just for the fact of how rare they are and parts are scarce

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anyone is wanting an 8.1 I know where there are 2 of them. Still in trucks and been sitting for almost 2 years because they both need a TB or something to do with the fuel injection, I can't remember exactly what it is,,,,but the part does not exist. No oem, no aftermarket and none used. The shop these trucks are sitting at ordered the part from an ebay store down in the US, paid for it and waited a month for a shipping confirmation just to have the order cancelled cause they didn't have the part.

I wouldn't be swapping one of those engines into anything just for the fact of how rare they are and parts are scarce

I do not know what part of the world an 8100 would be considered rare, but they have always been easier to find than the 6.0L here. A 250K mile 6.0L was a $2,000-2,500 engine everywhere even 10 years ago.

For the early 8.1Ls I own, I swapped the later timing cover on them to use the commonly available LS camshaft sensor. The early 8.1L DBW stuff is the same as the early DBW LS1 and SUV stuff.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cost/Availability.
The easiest way is to buy a wrecked truck and use everything out of it you need and sell the rest of it.
I buy wrecked 2500 trucks, use the 6.0/4L80E out of them and sell everything else thats good, fill the bed full of scrap metal and call the junkyard to come get it. They send me a check for scrap weight that week.
But for 5.3s they are pretty easy to find around here for $50-500. I always get the cheapest ones that will spin over by a wrench and just rebuild it.
If its a GMT400 truck im swapping i just put the 305/350 in the bed of the donor truck to send it to the scrap yard. Ive had 3 vortec 350s for awhile and you cant give them away here.

And the fun part is to just go ahead and throw a turbo on the 4.8, 5.3, 6.0. Have all the power you want and still get good mileage.