Best 4L80 yr swap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Numbah1

Reaction score
I have 2 RCLB, a 98 c1500 and a parts 94 c2500. I was looking for input on confirming some research on a 4L80 swap for the clean 1998;

the 91-96 4L80s are great, 94-96s are the best?

If theres something i haven't read, what yr would be the best 4L80E?

Questioning this because
1) i didnt see any starter trucks of 98+ for the basis and the 98+ 4L60Es are different...
2) i read you need an electrician get a 95 hooked up to not a 95 4L60.

The county inspector was outside my house since i inherited my dads 2 OBS raising my collection to 6 shitboxes. Time is not on my side.

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a '98 truck, personally I'd be looking for a '97-'99 4L80E. That way you keep the cooler lines in the configuration they should be for that year.

Some info on 4L80E differences by year:

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info
For anyone reading this....

Any 97+ will work...99+ had some changes to the gear train involving taller pinion gears in the planetary carriers that required the integration of a .041 shim to re-center the sun gear but that's purely from a service-pack perspective so individual gear train components outside the output shaft shouldn't be swapped between 97-98 and 99+ units but the entire gear train can be retroed (or prospectively installed if taking a 97/98 gear train and installing into a 99+ unit).

2001+ saw the introduction of a stabilizer pin for the OD backing plate to reduce asymmetric application of that pack in earlier units (which led to premature failure in some 4L80es) and a design change in the overdrive sprag to one w/smaller rollers (a step back IMO). There was also no change to the dimensions of the bell housing or torque converter dimensions between Gen 1 and Gen 3 small blocks...

I have also done 4L80E swaps using late model units originally installed into Gen3s such as 6.0L into early model vehicles w/ Gen1 small and big blocks...Only thing they needed to do extra beyond everything else the swap requires was source late model cooler lines or make their own. Also the 12 o'clock bell housing-block bolt is left empty for Gen 1/Gen2 small blocks.

No changes were made to the cooler line locations since 97.

Last edited: