Alternator not charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s pretty low for a healthy alternator, but you would need to rule out a cable issue first. What is the alternator voltage measured from the alternator post to ground? Rev it to around 1500-rpm and compare.

Try what Ken said, put one lead on the battery positive and the other on the cable post at the back of the alternator. It should be a low number, less than 0.5V.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From alternator post to ground is at 12.48 volts, when I rev the engine it stays the same.

Measuring from alternator post to battery + lead reads 0.01 volts.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just making sure I don't miss any here, these are the grounds I've checked: Alternator mounting, batt to engine block, batt to fender, I made a new one from battery to frame, engine to firewall.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From alternator post to ground is at 12.48 volts, when I rev the engine it stays the same.

Measuring from alternator post to battery + lead reads 0.01 volts.

Yeah, the alternator isn’t doing its job.

The drop across the cable looks good.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have 12V at the small plug? That's what turns the alternator on. Just spinning the pulley won't excite the alternator.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have 12V at the small plug? That's what turns the alternator on. Just spinning the pulley won't excite the alternator.

I assume it does because the idiot light turns off when it is removed, but I'll test it in the morning when I get crackin` again.
Someone at work also told me I should check out the starter solenoid. I'll get it eventually:33:

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As an ASE Master Tech since 1978, I grew up rebuilding alternators, carburetors, distributors, starters, etc. I hate the new "BOX" fixer's. If you don't perform best practices first by testing, the trips to the store will increase...with your box & receipt.

Nowadays, it's more cost and time effective to just swap in assemblies. I am guilty of some things you might hate. If I can buy a control arm assembly where I don't have to press anything in or out... I am buying that assembly! Strut goes out... I am picking up a quik strut! Engine goes... Long block all day for me. I think you were leaning more towards not doing the proper troubleshooting and just throwing parts at it, which I try not to do in most cases... I do have a rule though... if the part I think is broken is a likely culprit and the collective internet has had the same problems with the same symptoms as I have, and they suggest that part, and it's under 40 bucks, I am just going to buy it and try it. :jester:

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, more diagnostics on my part lead to the alternator. So in a last ditch effort I pulled every bolt and grounding strap, polished the surfaces, and replaced. Nothing, not a ground problem. Took out the alternator and took the only running vehicle I have left, a motorized Schwinn bicycle, to auto zone to get it tested. Came back bad. Went back to Carquest for my warranty. On the bench test it sounded like running over a sprinkler head with your lawn mower. "Doctor, I think it's a bearing!" I got my replacement. Runs great now, 14.7 volts.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, more diagnostics on my part lead to the alternator. So in a last ditch effort I pulled every bolt and grounding strap, polished the surfaces, and replaced. Nothing, not a ground problem. Took out the alternator and took the only running vehicle I have left, a motorized Schwinn bicycle, to auto zone to get it tested. Came back bad. Went back to Carquest for my warranty. On the bench test it sounded like running over a sprinkler head with your lawn mower. "Doctor, I think it's a bearing!" I got my replacement. Runs great now, 14.7 volts.

Sounds like post #2