89 silverado gauge swap altenator not charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coyotesa

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone can help but I just swapped my 89 silverado moon gauges for 94 gauges with tach. And now my volts show only 12v pretty sure it was 14v before the swap. I have the brown wire connected but not even the the battery light comes on, when starting the truck either.

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone can help but I just swapped my 89 silverado moon gauges for 94 gauges with tach. And now my volts show only 12v pretty sure it was 14v before the swap. I have the brown wire connected but not even the the battery light comes on, when starting the truck either.

Does the batt light (little battery symbol) come on when you turn the key on? I know the batt lights in these trucks act as a diode and are kind of integral to the charging system. Check with a meter to make sure your alt is actually putting out the correct 14+ volts.

On my 93, the gauge maxes out.. when I tested the alt with a simple voltmeter, the alt was putting out a nice steady 14.5 volts. So in my case, it’s the gauge.

Coyotesa

Reaction score
Does the batt light (little battery symbol) come on when you turn the key on? I know the batt lights in these trucks act as a diode and are kind of integral to the charging system. Check with a meter to make sure your alt is actually putting out the correct 14+ volts.

On my 93, the gauge maxes out.. when I tested the alt with a simple voltmeter, the alt was putting out a nice steady 14.5 volts. So in my case, it’s the gauge.
The battery light doesn't come on when I start it. I tested it and it's good. I took an old light and even tried wiring it in line to test. The altenator is not charging.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
What happens if you connect the Alt wire to a power source while the truck is running? If that does nothing, check between the plug and alt connector for continuity. If there is continuity, replace the alt.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you spliced in the "new" cluster plug into the "old" harness, did you join the three "new" hot wires to your "old" harness? You may have a bad connection at your splice point. The three points of reference on the "new" plug being pins F, O, and U. The one pin on the "old" connector being pin A10.

What's interesting about your complaint is that I had the almost same problem when doing the same swap in my '89, although my cluster was from a '93. Volt meter started to act wonky. Replaced it with a non-tach cluster and the problem went away

Coyotesa

Reaction score
When you spliced in the "new" cluster plug into the "old" harness, did you join the three "new" hot wires to your "old" harness? You may have a bad connection at your splice point. The three points of reference on the "new" plug being pins F, O, and U. The one pin on the "old" connector being pin A10.

What's interesting about your complaint is that I had the almost same problem when doing the same swap in my '89, although my cluster was from a '93. Volt meter started to act wonky. Replaced it with a non-tach cluster and the problem went away
The three pink and black wires? I did put them together.

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, thems the ones. You might want to pull the cluster and see if you have battery voltage on all three locations. Check continuity from pinA to the alternator connector to see if you have an "open" in the circuit

Coyotesa

Reaction score

The three pink and black wires? I did put them together

Coyotesa

Reaction score
Fixed it, checked the continuity from the altenator to the plug and there was nothing, ran a new wire and boom charging. Mayne the tugging in the wires to soldier them caused it to break.

Attachments

• 20240314_100003.jpg
    20240314_100003.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 3

FrankieD61

The Stooge Called Slappy: Slappy'sAutoService
Reaction score
Fixed it, checked the continuity from the altenator to the plug and there was nothing, ran a new wire and boom charging. Mayne the tugging in the wires to soldier them caused it to break.
Good stuff! Love it when a post ends with a resolve!