Alternator not charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, a few days ago my alternator stopped charging my battery. It was working fine one night, 14 volts. I started it the next day and it is at 12 volts and the battery idiot light is on.

I tested the battery- it's good, alternator is good, checked the fusible link from alternator to battery- good, all the batter terminals are clean, all the connections of alternator and battery are clean and tight.

When I rev the engine, the reading on the volt meter does not change, unplugging or jiggling the single brown wire to the alternator has no effect.

I have yet to check the cable to my starter, or the ground strap for the starter to frame.

What might be my problem here? I haven't had time yet to do the whole 9 yards here of diagnosis, and I wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion of where to start.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, a few days ago my alternator stopped charging my battery. It was working fine one night, 14 volts. I started it the next day and it is at 12 volts and the battery idiot light is on.

I tested the battery- it's good, alternator is good, checked the fusible link from alternator to battery- good, all the batter terminals are clean, all the connections of alternator and battery are clean and tight.

When I rev the engine, the reading on the volt meter does not change, unplugging or jiggling the single brown wire to the alternator has no effect.

I have yet to check the cable to my starter, or the ground strap for the starter to frame.

What might be my problem here? I haven't had time yet to do the whole 9 yards here of diagnosis, and I wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion of where to start.
how did you test the battery? How did you test the alternator? Sounds like voltage regulator is bad, which is inside the alternator, so replace the alternator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how did you test the battery? How did you test the alternator? Sounds like voltage regulator is bad, which is inside the alternator, so replace the alternator

I had same issue. I sprung for the bigger alternator and longer belt. I think it's like 140 amp instead of like 90 is stock. Of course I have the vortec. Not sure what's available for the older

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I tested the battery at a shop, had it load tested and such. I first got the alternator tested at the parts store while in the truck, no charging. I took it off and had it tested again, in the store, it read 14.6 volts.

DallasTahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tested the battery at a shop, had it load tested and such. I first got the alternator tested at the parts store while in the truck, no charging. I took it off and had it tested again, in the store, it read 14.6 volts.

Ok next step would be to check all of your ground cables and make sure all are clean and tight. I would replace the alternator anyway, I had the exact same problem not too long ago, I replaced the alternator and now all is good, replace it with the 140amp

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure that the battery light on the dash is working. If it isn't then it won't charge.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a ground cable between the starter and frame? I've got a tattered piece of a metal ground strap bolted to my frame by the starter, not sure where it goes though.

Make sure that the battery light on the dash is working. If it isn't then it won't charge.
I've got the light on the dash, but still no charging.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best way to test electrical circuits is voltage drop. Use your digital multi-meter (DMM), set to voltage and go find both ends of a single wire to test (Whatever is easiest). The B+ terminal on the alternator to the B+ on the battery. Start the engine. Voltage drop only works when current is flowing thru the circuit. At this point, turn on the headlights, blower fan to draw some amperage. The DMM does not care which meter led is used, if backwards, it will just show (-) in front of the reading. This test shows the "Loss" of voltage in the circuit, so the lower the voltage reading, the better. So a reading of 0.05 volts is great, but 0.40 volts is acceptable. If there is corrosion inside the wire, broken copper threads, or damaged / burn't fusible link, the problem will show up.

Major Advantage of Voltage Drop:
#1 You are not disturbing any wires, connectors or components than you have to.
#2 You have to have current flowing thru the circuit as intended to make the item work. So turn it on!
#3 With jumper wires, you can test relays for bad contacts across terminals 30 & 87, or 87a if equipped. Repeat test on relays multiple times. One high voltage drop is all you need.

Electrical Circuit Testing:
#1 A test for voltage only proves that it is present, not the amount of current it can carry. (Test light or DMM)
#2 A voltage drop test proves the condition of the wire & components in the circuit. Never forget the negative side.
#3 A scope will show the electrical activity inside the circuit.
DC brush type motors, all create a smooth consistent wave pattern. If jagged or missing hump, motor is bad or soon to fail. Fuel pumps are best tested this way, other than pressure and volume.
#4 A clamp-on current probe, will show the amount of amperage flowing in the circuit. If too high, the item is working too hard. Check for the reason why.

Say you check the blower fan with your DMM. The reading shows 12.4 volts. Great. It is a series circuit with only one path for current to flow. The fan is designed to consume all of the voltage in that circuit. However, each switch, connector, fuse on both positive and negative side, will have a very small amount of voltage drop across the component. If all where totaled up, it would equal the Battery available voltage...in theory.

But a voltage drop test is quick, easy and accurate. It never lyes and gives you additional information about the condition of the circuit and components. If the reading is above 1.0 volt, start going backward in the circuit until you find the resistance. Don't make it hard to gain access to a wire, unless you need to. This will isolate the problem every time.

As an ASE Master Tech since 1978, I grew up rebuilding alternators, carburetors, distributors, starters, etc. I hate the new "BOX" fixer's. If you don't perform best practices first by testing, the trips to the store will increase...with your box & receipt.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...unplugging or jiggling the single brown wire to the alternator has no effect.

The alternator provides the ground for the warning light (powered from the GAUGES fuse), so if it is staying on when unplugged from the alternator then it’s shorting to ground somewhere between the instrument cluster and alternator connection.

You must be registered for see images attach

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did a voltage drop, the battery is at 12.96 volts off. 12.41 volts running, and 11.96 volts running with lights and radio on.

Edit- the battery idiot light does turn off when I unplug the brown wire, but voltage reading is not affected.

Last edited: