Air Intakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LessThenStellar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't see the logic in buying these aftermarket intakes. They cost way more than a 16" piece of tubing and they suck "hotter" air. I do think they are more aesthetically pleasing though.

The reason I say "hotter" is becase the air under the hood is said to be hot. This is true if the vehicle is stationary but once it's in motion the air starts to circulate with more cool air being forced in as you drive. So perhaps "warmer" is the right word.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't see the logic in buying these aftermarket intakes. They cost way more than a 16" piece of tubing and they suck "hotter" air. I do think they are more aesthetically pleasing though.

The reason I say "hotter" is becase the air under the hood is said to be hot. This is true if the vehicle is stationary but once it's in motion the air starts to circulate with more cool air being forced in as you drive. So perhaps "warmer" is the right word.

The only good one is Volant, the filter is in a box and draws in air from the fender like the factory ones do, not cheap either, get the intake tube off a base model V6 and be done with it

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

biggy-p

Reaction score
i have a k&n and it does a awesome job, really woke up the sleeping beast! it was alittle bit of a pain to install and keep it on the throttle body but i got it figured out and i wouldnt buy another one!!

LessThenStellar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Volant does look like a nice unit. But for 250$ the juice isn't worth the squeeze. I could care less about the HP increase, it's probably less than advertised.

I achieved an average of 14 miles more per tank with a free piece of tubing, it also sounds a little nicer and has a little bit better throttle response.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Volant does look like a nice unit. But for 250$ the juice isn't worth the squeeze. I could care less about the HP increase, it's probably less than advertised.

I achieved an average of 14 miles more per tank with a free piece of tubing, it also sounds a little nicer and has a little bit better throttle response.

Lol ya $250 for maybe 10hp plenty of other ways to get some hp

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Well the ones you're really talking about are the ones that don't have any kind of head shield filter box where it's wide open in the engine bay. Most kits like the K&N in mine might let some hot air in if it isn't completely sealed to the fender like the Volant, but if you think about it, it's not really enough where you'd know unless it didn't have a box at all. I could tell a noticeable difference so any little bit of hot air from the engine bay must not be making it any worse. If for any reason, it will save money in the long run, well if you get one with a good high performance filter where the filter element can be cleaned and reused. A regular paper filter for my 98 5.7 is $20. You replace them every 5,000 miles or 3,000 if you do it every oil change. Well my K&N can go 100,000 miles before needing to be cleaned so that equals 20-30 paper filters which equal to $400-600. So I'd rather pay the $200-250 for a kit or $50 for a stock drop in filter if it can save me that much. Especially with how gas is and all (never complained about gas cost, just making a point). So if anything it would save money rather you care for performance or not.

Lol ya $250 for maybe 10hp plenty of other ways to get some hp

As I said above, in the long run you'll save money on replacing filters. I'd rather pay $250 for a kit or $50 for a stock drop in filter that last 100,000 miles before needing to be cleaned than spend $400-600 ($20 paper filters every oil change or 5,000 miles at the most) for paper filters in that same amount of miles. The kit pays for itself in no time. Also you won't feel the HP (which after running temps it's drops to only 3 HP). What you feel is more air going in and the intake system being less restrictive. If your stock intake setup isn't that restrictive K&N and probably Volant make stock drop in filters. You have to be careful to not get a cheap kit with a cheap paper element filter. A high performance filter element does make a difference, just not actual HP gain.

Last edited:

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
If for any reason, it will save money in the long run, well if you get one with a good high performance filter where the filter element can be cleaned and reused. A regular paper filter for my 98 5.7 is $20. You replace them every 5,000 miles or 3,000 if you do it every oil change. Well my K&N can go 100,000 miles before needing to be cleaned so that equals 20-30 paper filters which equal to $400-600. So I'd rather pay the $200-250 for a kit or $50 for a stock drop in filter if it can save me that much. Especially with how gas is and all (never complained about gas cost, just making a point). So if anything it would save money rather you care for performance or not.

Your numbers are wrong, IMO. A good NAPA Gold paper filter only costs about $10 (including my taxes), even less if you buy while they're on sale. Also, if you're changing paper filters at 3,000-5,000 miles, then you must just like wasting money. If you really have to replace your filters that often, then there is no way in hell an oiled filter will go anywhere near 100,000 miles without cleaning. Don't forget those cleaning kits cost at least $10 a pop too.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
The air temps are not drastically different in the fender compared to the engine compartment. Having the intake in the fender is going to be more restricted compared to a k&n or airaid, stock lid flip, etc. Less restrictions equal better throttle response. If you that pumped about cold air I suggest modding/removing the passenger side turn signal/parking light to allow more air into the fender as that is where the fender gets its cold air from. Of course these are just my opinions so don't take them to seriously. I have first hand experience with a few different styles of intakes on several cars/trucks.

racer36

I'm Awesome
Reaction score