Air induction; hood scoops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 350 Vortec has a coolant bypass that really makes a noticeable difference in how quickly it warms up. My 454 has that same feature, but takes noticeably longer to warm up. More metal I guess? But it makes more heat too. . .

That, and a shitload of heat loss from the combustion chambers? Where did the fuel go?.....

I once read that Corvairs were on the whole easy on fuel but being aircooled had crap heaters. Using the onboard gasoline heater apparently made them as thirsty as a tank!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why I've never understood why one radiator is placed in front of another radiator as with AC rads.
There's no other place to put the things. As such, the engineers (hopefully) size them accordingly, and we just live with the inefficiency.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'm normally not a big fan of extras on these trucks, but you've got it just right on yours. The T/A fender scoops need to be in a certain position to look proportioned. Good looking sport side, what color will you paint it?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
What was the original purpose on the T/A? My understanding is to relief air pressure built up in the wheel wells. At least thats there purpose on the super cars. I'm far from an expert but they look awesome! So the left passanger fender is a part if the cold air intake system..... did you notice any performance changes when you installed them?

I think my sierra wants some of these. Lol

Al

SuperTramp

Preparing truck & camper for N. American trek
Reaction score
Just putting this out there as someone who removed the throttle blade lip on a V6 truck. It sucks. Turned my throttle pedal into an on/off switch. I put a factory blade back on. I've never done it on a V8 truck but I can't imagine how people enjoy it.

And no, I don't suck at modulating throttle (try driving my Monte), I just prefer it to respond in a linear manner.
Thanks for sharing your experience as I’ve thought about grinding mine off.

Kent Penoyer

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding a bit like a 18 that just got his first truck, has anyone had any experience with using functional hood scoops or snorkels to increase airflow to the engine and reduce heat under the hood? I’m concerned that the stock air filter box that draws air from the fender well may limit airflow and could be improved on. I’ll be hauling a 2000 pound truck camper in the pay load and I’m a looking for ways to make help engine life and performance.
I have the hood intake system that you are talking about for 5 yrs on my 5.7. I also took the top of the air cleaner box off using a K&N filter. No issues noted ever or warning lights. Truthfully canI tell you that I get any noticeable engine improvements, no. But in theory it should help performance. Love this rig.