Air induction; hood scoops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTramp

Preparing truck & camper for N. American trek
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding a bit like a 18 that just got his first truck, has anyone had any experience with using functional hood scoops or snorkels to increase airflow to the engine and reduce heat under the hood? I’m concerned that the stock air filter box that draws air from the fender well may limit airflow and could be improved on. I’ll be hauling a 2000 pound truck camper in the pay load and I’m a looking for ways to make help engine life and performance.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding a bit like a 18 that just got his first truck, has anyone had any experience with using functional hood scoops or snorkels to increase airflow to the engine and reduce heat under the hood? I’m concerned that the stock air filter box that draws air from the fender well may limit airflow and could be improved on. I’ll be hauling a 2000 pound truck camper in the pay load and I’m a looking for ways to make help engine life and performance.

It looks like you have a 98 350.... that factory airbox was designed to be enough for my 454. If it were me, I'd make sure my cooling system was good to go, and maybe look at an additional transmission cooler..... there has been some discussion on the forum about keeping the ATF cool, but not too cool. I don't recall the details on that, However.

An 11 blade composite fan might be a nice upgrade. I just bought one through ebay, but here is the info from Rockauto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=887449&jsn=3

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just out of interest (as it's been bugging me) - where does the air get into the fender well to feed the air box? All I can see is the airbox's inlet disappearing through the inner wing and can't see where the air enters to feed it.

SuperTramp

Reaction score
Just out of interest (as it's been bugging me) - where does the air get into the fender well to feed the air box? All I can see is the airbox's inlet disappearing through the inner wing and can't see where the air enters to feed it.
That was my original line of thought. It’s as if the space in the fender that’s designed to supply air relies on air coming through the hairline crevices where the sheet metal meets. Anyone have better logic?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
When you take the front grill off on the passanger side there is a plastic like funnel directing air into the fender. It's very front kinda under the lights if I remember correctly. I ran my 4 high wires through this spot. But unfortunately I have no pics.

Al

SuperTramp

Reaction score
https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/hood-scoop-types#what
Assuming that the print below in bold is true, does anyone know if the operation of a GMT400 throttle body is similar enough to that of a carburetor that the added pressure created by increased air hood scoop create problems?

Functional hood scoops are situated in a high-pressure area of the hood. At higher rates of speed, more air will enter the hood scoop, and it will be moving at a higher velocity as it does. This cooler, denser air is responsible for the performance boost associated with hood scoops. In order to “catch” this air, the hood scoop needs to have an opening that’s high enough to clear the boundary layer around your car.

Engines rely on fuel and air to propel your car. Fuel is easy to increase, but it’s harder to increase the air intake or to get more power from each combustion. Hood scoops are an easy way to increase the air intake and also to ensure that the air being used is a desirable temperature or pressure for optimal combustion. In short, hood scoops function much the same way as cold air intakes, but they can be combined with cold air intakes for even greater power gains.
installing a hood scoop can be a serious problem for your engine. If you have a carburetor, then a Ram Air hood scoop could cause serious harm to the inner workings of your car if you don’t take the proper precautions.

SuperTramp

Reaction score
I found a video where the guy is replacing headlights.... I took a pic. Hes pointing right at it immediately under the passanger headlight.

Al
You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks for the picture. Now I’m wondering what simple alterations can be made to increase the air way and air flow