Adding keyless entry to 1993 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have one of the older Viper 211V units in mine. Installed it several years ago only took 30 mins and I haven't had a problem.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I installed a Prestige unit about a year ago. It did not take me 30 minutes. The door locks were a pain to figure out. Had to get creative with some relays. Only figured it out because I accidentally shorted a wire against the cab and they unlocked lol. Switched power and ground and all was well.

My only complaint is after a year, the remote seems to be a little finicky. Works great most of the time but sometimes I have to get closer or move around an object that's in the way (probably just need to do a better job of routing the antenna).
Other than that, the two honks on unlock bothers the hell out of me. I just want it to unlock. Not honk at me. Thankfully you can hold the unlock for a second and itll do just that.

It's a PITA but it's so worth it
You must be registered for see images attach

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed a Prestige unit about a year ago. It did not take me 30 minutes. The door locks were a pain to figure out. Had to get creative with some relays. Only figured it out because I accidentally shorted a wire against the cab and they unlocked lol. Switched power and ground and all was well.

My only complaint is after a year, the remote seems to be a little finicky. Works great most of the time but sometimes I have to get closer or move around an object that's in the way (probably just need to do a better job of routing the antenna).
Other than that, the two honks on unlock bothers the hell out of me. I just want it to unlock. Not honk at me. Thankfully you can hold the unlock for a second and itll do just that.

It's a PITA but it's so worth it

With help I got from here I'm pretty sure I've got the lock wiring figured out, and both locks should open at the same time. I'm not hooking the horn into this system because I find that annoying lol! I believe I can back feed through the convenience center for having the dome lights come on and the parking lights flash, hopefully I can test for that tonight after work.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got pics? I wonder if it'll work the same on an 88?

I haven't got the keyless entry kit yet, hopefully Saturday. Anyway I did some checking on my convenience panel and got this info

1993 Convenience Panel

Green = battery hot
White (bottom) = battery hot
White (next to blue) = run only
Orange = run/accessory
Blue =run/crank
Brown = ground
Green 2 spade top row
Top = ground to activate courtesy lights
Bottom = battery hot
Gray lower right corner
Top = parking light circuit
Bottom = ground

So other than splicing into 2 of the door lock wires at the connector behind the driver's side kick panel I should be able to do all my other wiring right off that panel by using female spade connectors. I don't know what other years used this convenience panel but mine looks like this.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know I didn't identify every spot in it but like I said, I figured out the connections I can use for this project.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It SHOULD be applicable for any 88-94, but I can't say 100% that is the case. I do know they changed them from that style in 95+ trucks.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This Viper system is what I went with and just finished installing. Took a little longer than I thought it would but I'm very happy. I used the door lock wires mentioned in the video posted just above this and tapped into the other circuits through the convenience panel. I didn't want the horn to honk so I avoided it, but my tail lights flash when locking/unlocking, interior lamps come on when unlocking, interior lamps come on when cycling the key from run to off (but not from accessory to off) and stay on for 30 seconds. The only thing I noticed is that by using the tail light connection on the convenience panel is that the instrument panel and license plate lights also light up when the parking lights flash, not a big deal for me. By doing it this way and using different spots in the convenience panel for grounds, battery hot, ignition hot and tapping into the interior and taillight circuits the only wires I had to cut were the blue and black/white striped door lock wires in the driver's kick panel area and all wiring connections are inside the truck cab. So I'm very happy with this install and thanks for all the help you guys gave me, it's much appreciated!

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Although this system is working good I'm wondering if I can extend the antenna from the main unit? It looks like it's just 18 or so gauge wire and if I can extend it with regular insulated automotive wire and run it up the driver's side A pillar I think I'd have awesome range with the key fob.