Adding keyless entry to 1993 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all. After adding factory power windows and locks to my truck last weekend I thought I was finished with my major projects on it until tonight when I was thumbing through an LMC truck catalog and saw a keyless entry kit for $70 lol! It comes with lock actuators which I'm not sure that I would need since I've now got power locks and with some quick research it doesn't look like you can buy replacement fobs if they junk out unless you buy another complete kit. So I'm asking for thoughts/recommendations on keyless entry kits. Although I like trying to stay factory with the upgrades I have done I've never seen a 94 and earlier truck with factory keyless entry and not sure how 95 and newer parts would interchange since the interior and wiring systems are different. So for this I'm not opposed to going aftermarket for a good system. I'm not really interested in remote start at this time or to even have the horn honk/parking lights blink when you activate it, just reliable locking/unlocking of the doors from a remote fob and preferably a factory looking fob would be awesome. So any thoughts/recommendations/reviews would be much welcomed. Thanks!

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The parts from a 95+ will swap in fairly easily, just a bit of wire splicing needed. Some early Suburbans and probably fullsize Blazers had RKE (remote keyless entry), but the funny part about that is they're not mentioned in wiring diagrams for those years... So idk what that's all about, but I know some trucks came with it.

For wiring in later model RKE, you'll need the actual RKE module, which is mounted to a plate on the right side of the steering column under the dash, PLUS the door lock relay pack which shouldn't be too far from that point... Grab as much wire as you can for both connectors as well. Reference the FCCID number on the RKE module to find the right fobs for the receiver. As for wiring it in, I'll come back with that in a minute.

PS what year's your truck?

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The parts from a 95+ will swap in fairly easily, just a bit of wire splicing needed. Some early Suburbans and probably fullsize Blazers had RKE (remote keyless entry), but the funny part about that is they're not mentioned in wiring diagrams for those years... So idk what that's all about, but I know some trucks came with it.

For wiring in later model RKE, you'll need the actual RKE module, which is mounted to a plate on the right side of the steering column under the dash, PLUS the door lock relay pack which shouldn't be too far from that point... Grab as much wire as you can for both connectors as well. Reference the FCCID number on the RKE module to find the right fobs for the receiver. As for wiring it in, I'll come back with that in a minute.

PS what year's your truck?
It's a 1993 and the donor truck I got the power door dash harness and door parts from was also a 1993.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It's a 1993 and the donor truck I got the power door dash harness and door parts from was also a 1993.

Perfect.

Heh. So the 95+ are a tiny bit different, but it'll still work if you're willing to put in a bit of effort lol. This is what'll be in your truck. 95+ without RKE is actually very similar.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is the RKE setup from a 95+ truck.

Yeah I know I cut off the top.. Here's a full view if you need it: https://www.ak49bwl.com/other/wires/1997K1500/PowerLocks-KeylessEntry.pdf

Notice how the lock switches run in series on no-RKE models vs the switches wired in parallel on RKE models. Also the motors are wired together without RKE, and run all over the place with RKE. You're going to be making some wiring changes to the doors if you decide to put this in.

To wire in the RKE module, connect the orange wire(s) from RKE Pins E and F and relay module Pin C to the orange/black wire going to your door switches - that'll put the RKE system on the same circuit as the locks themselves. Black wires from both modules are obviously going to be ground (RKE Pin N, relays Pin D).

If you want, you can wire your dome lights to the RKE module as well - it'll turn your lights on when you unlock with the fob, then shut em off again in about 30s. If you do that, you'll want to splice the pink wire (Pin J) to an ignition (hot in run) source - or the lights won't turn off when you turn the key on until the timer runs out lol. Run the WHITE WIRE that is next to the LIGHT BLUE wire of the RKE module (Pin S) to the white wire of one of your door pin switches or the white wire on the courtesy light knob next to the headlight switch.

Now, the way my 97 works, tapping the unlock button on the fob once unlocks only the driver door; a second tap unlocks the rest. Since your door lock actuators are wired together, that's not going to work the same way. You have to separate the two motor signals, unless you're just not worried about having separate unlock signals. However, you ARE going to need access to the door lock switch on both sides to change wires around.

If you want to separate them, cut the tan** wire coming from the driver door. **THERE ARE TWO TAN WIRES coming from the driver door to the passenger door!! Make sure you get the correct one (continuity test!) or you're going to be missing your passenger window down signal lol. Wire the driver door side of the tan wire you just cut to Pin A of the RKE module, and the passenger side of the tan wire to Pin H AND relay pack Pin B. Splice the GRAY wire from the doors to the relay module's Pin E.

If you don't care about separating the motors, just don't cut the tan wire, and simply splice it to Pin A of the RKE module.

That takes care of the motors... Now we need to change the switches a bit. In the driver door, REMOVE the black wires from the door lock switch and get rid of them. They're no longer needed. Note the black wire with the RED STRIPE - leave it alone, it's needed to stay where it is. In the passenger door at the lock switch, you will need to REMOVE the GRAY wire from the connector (and cover it and/or cut it off, as it will not be reused), and REPLACE its position with the LIGHT BLUE wire. I don't have access to these style switches but I would assume it's possible to de-pin and re-pin the connector.... The light blue wire needs to go where the gray wire was at any rate. The same needs to happen with the TAN and BLACK/RED wire - get rid of the tan, replace it with the black/red. Congrats, your door switches are now wired in parallel. Don't try to completely rip out the gray and tan wires, as they do go to your lock actuator in the door.

Now you need to find those same light blue and black/red wires coming out of the door. Splice the light blue wire to RKE Pin B AND relay module Pin A. Splice the black/red wire to RKE Pin R AND relay module Pin F.

LAST THING. The Black/White Striped wire coming from Pin L of the RKE module needs to be accessible in order to be able to program fobs! This wire must be GROUNDED during programming ONLY - leave it with no connection at all other times. To program fobs, GROUND this wire, the door locks will cycle. HOLD the lock and unlock buttons on the fob until the locks cycle again. Repeat that step with any additional fobs. When done, disconnect the wire. You're done. Test and enjoy remote keyless entry!

Final note: Having not actually done all of the above myself, I cannot vouch 100% that it will absolutely work - Only that it definitely should, with one possible small caveat: The motors appear reversed in the wiring diagrams between 88-94 and 95+. So if your lock switch unlocks your doors and vice versa, all you have to do is swap the two wires at the connectors to the lock actuators - those connectors can be easily re-pinned.

Hmm, interesting. The RKE module of a 93-94 S10 Blazer isn't very different, and I CAN access a wiring diagram for them. Plus they have a third unlock output for if you wanted to hook something else up to it :D but, no dome light control with that one. It would get you the older-styled remote tho, rather than the rounded one of the 95+.
Even further research shows that the 95-97 S10 RKE modules are VERY much like my 97 Sierra's RKE module (actually it could be a 95-99, I don't remember what I swapped it out of lol), in fact the wiring pin-out is identical save for one wire. This is quite intriguing.

Last edited:

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i bought a kit off ebay that worked with my Alarm remote, easy to install etc.
Didn't have the info AK posted back then.
https://www.the12volt.com/ has some good info too.
you should consider installing a security system while you're at it, imo.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perfect.

Heh. So the 95+ are a tiny bit different, but it'll still work if you're willing to put in a bit of effort lol. This is what'll be in your truck. 95+ without RKE is actually very similar.

This is the RKE setup from a 95+ truck.

Yeah I know I cut off the top.. Here's a full view if you need it: https://www.ak49bwl.com/other/wires/1997K1500/PowerLocks-KeylessEntry.pdf

Notice how the lock switches run in series on no-RKE models vs the switches wired in parallel on RKE models. Also the motors are wired together without RKE, and run all over the place with RKE. You're going to be making some wiring changes to the doors if you decide to put this in.

To wire in the RKE module, connect the orange wire(s) from RKE Pins E and F and relay module Pin C to the orange/black wire going to your door switches - that'll put the RKE system on the same circuit as the locks themselves. Black wires from both modules are obviously going to be ground (RKE Pin N, relays Pin D).

If you want, you can wire your dome lights to the RKE module as well - it'll turn your lights on when you unlock with the fob, then shut em off again in about 30s. If you do that, you'll want to splice the pink wire (Pin J) to an ignition (hot in run) source - or the lights won't turn off when you turn the key on until the timer runs out lol. Run the WHITE WIRE that is next to the LIGHT BLUE wire of the RKE module (Pin S) to the white wire of one of your door pin switches or the white wire on the courtesy light knob next to the headlight switch.

Now, the way my 97 works, tapping the unlock button on the fob once unlocks only the driver door; a second tap unlocks the rest. Since your door lock actuators are wired together, that's not going to work the same way. You have to separate the two motor signals, unless you're just not worried about having separate unlock signals. However, you ARE going to need access to the door lock switch on both sides to change wires around.

If you want to separate them, cut the tan** wire coming from the driver door. **THERE ARE TWO TAN WIRES coming from the driver door to the passenger door!! Make sure you get the correct one (continuity test!) or you're going to be missing your passenger window down signal lol. Wire the driver door side of the tan wire you just cut to Pin A of the RKE module, and the passenger side of the tan wire to Pin H AND relay pack Pin B. Splice the GRAY wire from the doors to the relay module's Pin E.

If you don't care about separating the motors, just don't cut the tan wire, and simply splice it to Pin A of the RKE module.

That takes care of the motors... Now we need to change the switches a bit. In the driver door, REMOVE the black wires from the door lock switch and get rid of them. They're no longer needed. Note the black wire with the RED STRIPE - leave it alone, it's needed to stay where it is. In the passenger door at the lock switch, you will need to REMOVE the GRAY wire from the connector (and cover it and/or cut it off, as it will not be reused), and REPLACE its position with the LIGHT BLUE wire. I don't have access to these style switches but I would assume it's possible to de-pin and re-pin the connector.... The light blue wire needs to go where the gray wire was at any rate. The same needs to happen with the TAN and BLACK/RED wire - get rid of the tan, replace it with the black/red. Congrats, your door switches are now wired in parallel. Don't try to completely rip out the gray and tan wires, as they do go to your lock actuator in the door.

Now you need to find those same light blue and black/red wires coming out of the door. Splice the light blue wire to RKE Pin B AND relay module Pin A. Splice the black/red wire to RKE Pin R AND relay module Pin F.

LAST THING. The Black/White Striped wire coming from Pin L of the RKE module needs to be accessible in order to be able to program fobs! This wire must be GROUNDED during programming ONLY - leave it with no connection at all other times. To program fobs, GROUND this wire, the door locks will cycle. HOLD the lock and unlock buttons on the fob until the locks cycle again. Repeat that step with any additional fobs. When done, disconnect the wire. You're done. Test and enjoy remote keyless entry!

Final note: Having not actually done all of the above myself, I cannot vouch 100% that it will absolutely work - Only that it definitely should, with one possible small caveat: The motors appear reversed in the wiring diagrams between 88-94 and 95+. So if your lock switch unlocks your doors and vice versa, all you have to do is swap the two wires at the connectors to the lock actuators - those connectors can be easily re-pinned.

Hmm, interesting. The RKE module of a 93-94 S10 Blazer isn't very different, and I CAN access a wiring diagram for them. Plus they have a third unlock output for if you wanted to hook something else up to it :D but, no dome light control with that one. It would get you the older-styled remote tho, rather than the rounded one of the 95+.
Even further research shows that the 95-97 S10 RKE modules are VERY much like my 97 Sierra's RKE module (actually it could be a 95-99, I don't remember what I swapped it out of lol), in fact the wiring pin-out is identical save for one wire. This is quite intriguing.

Wow! A ton of info and I appreciate you taking the time to look that all up, thanks!

David89gmc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Northern California Sierras (God's Country)
You can try an Avital unit. My '89 K1500 came with a model 3100, actuators, and fobs. Not all of the features are used, but the starter disconnect and remote door locks work great! You can get replacement fobs from Avital.

FYI: You're right about aftermarket fobs. My '03 K2500 has power everything and it was no sweat to get two new fobs off Amazon for $14. Stock is the best way to go.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can try an Avital unit. My '89 K1500 came with a model 3100, actuators, and fobs. Not all of the features are used, but the starter disconnect and remote door locks work great! You can get replacement fobs from Avital.

With the 'rona virus going on I'm not able to get to any scrap yards at the moment so going factory parts isn't a great option right now. I really don't need a full blown security system so at the moment I'm leaning towards the Viper 412v keyless entry system but between work and helping my 76 year old dad on his farm I've had no time lol![

Last edited:

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well pulled the plug and ordered the Viper 412v off Ebay, should be here Saturday. With the awesome help from here I now have a good idea of how to wire it up for the functions I want to use.