ABS Light + Brake Light + Soft Pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Also be prepared once you do slide it off, they are heavy!

Sent from the big block!

95k2500

Reaction score
Mine is just the standard 8 lug rear end, not the big free floating style.

I'm going to go back out and give it another try and see if I can get them off.

You would think that with the kind of fluid loss that has occurred over time there would be some visible staining. Both the drums are dry everywhere I can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Post up a pick of the drum/hub once you take the tire off so we can see what your working with

Sent from the big block!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Crank in them adjusters all the way and start wiggling back and forth.

Or, split the drums and replace.

I've had to do that before. It's a bummer but the drums are usually ruined at that point anyways.

Very rare to actually have to break the drums off.

I'd keep frigging with it....

95k2500

Reaction score
Here's what I am dealing with... haven't had a chance to get back at it today, will do tomorrow afternoon!

You must be registered for see images attach

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Does the drum move on the axle center at all?

Lots of times the axle center rusts and the drum will not separate easily. I often have to tap the axle shaft a bit to work it back and forth and break it loose. This, combined with dragging shoes and a lip can make it very hard to get the drum off.

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Spray some type of penetrating oil around all the lugs and center hub let it sit for a bit and go to town with a hammer

Sent from the big block!

95k2500

Reaction score
Does the drum move on the axle center at all?

Lots of times the axle center rusts and the drum will not separate easily. I often have to tap the axle shaft a bit to work it back and forth and break it loose. This, combined with dragging shoes and a lip can make it very hard to get the drum off.

It does move a bit, it's definitely catching on the shoes in behind, it tugs forward a bit further on the bottom than the top, so it's free from the hub itself.

I'll give it a go tomorrow for sure.

95k2500

Reaction score
Just thought I would post an update.

This ended up being a result of a bad rear brake line, it was leaking behind the fuel tank. Unfortunately, the lines are so corroded, I am replacing all the lines and then it's a full on rear brake package as the drums, shoes and wheel cylinders are in poor condition.

Bit more than I expected, but at the same time, the rears will be completely refreshed. We'll be pulling our 27' fifth wheel around starting in the spring, so good brakes are essential!

Thanks for all your advice and tips! Hopefully I can start adding the few upgrades I'd like to do, including a touch louder exhaust, nerf step bars, and new rims & tires!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk