99 L29 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I fixed the hole from the egr flex pipe. I call it the gash patch.

Attachments

• IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 13

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tack welded on the bracket for a new Holley fpr. And for a fun experiment, I modified the coil bracket and module bracket, and tacked them under the cowl. I figure getting them off the back of the manifold will let them run cooler, reduce vibration and make reaching the dist a lot easier. I'm not going to fully weld it all in until I confirm everything fits and clears on the new engine.

Attachments

• IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 27

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I posted these same pics in a thread about oil filter adapters on the main forum. This is my design, and 5 are being made out of aluminum right now. It's cleaner and simpler than the next closest thing I could find, which is the Canton adapter I mentioned a page or two back in this thread.

Attachments

• ADAPTER-REV B 1.JPG
    ADAPTER-REV B 1.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 4
  • ADAPTER-REV B 2.JPG
    ADAPTER-REV B 2.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 4

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tack welded on the bracket for a new Holley fpr. And for a fun experiment, I modified the coil bracket and module bracket, and tacked them under the cowl. I figure getting them off the back of the manifold will let them run cooler, reduce vibration and make reaching the dist a lot easier. I'm not going to fully weld it all in until I confirm everything fits and clears on the new engine.
Following this painfully close. I know someone else with a 454 toyed around with the idea of relocating the coil from the back of the intake but I'm very interested in seeing how it'll pan out.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I posted these same pics in a thread about oil filter adapters on the main forum. This is my design, and 5 are being made out of aluminum right now. It's cleaner and simpler than the next closest thing I could find, which is the Canton adapter I mentioned a page or two back in this thread.
you thinking about offering these for sale once you have the design worked out?

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last few weeks were spent cleaning the frame to bare metal, scrubbing and sandblasting, and finally priming and painting last weekend. Also exploring this cover on the passenger side. It was held on entirely with seam sealer. Underneath is a square passage feeding fresh air to the ac blower. I put aluminum window screen over the opening and held it on with a big hose clamp, which should keep the leaves out of my new evaporator core! I put the cover back on with 4 sheet metal screws. I painted the firewall friday, and put the rebuilt ac in and dash back on today. Next weekend I hope to get the new engine in the frame.

I started the teardown for this engine swap in November. Now six months later, the first new parts are finally going back on, but I am running out of patience. It's about to get really hot here in phoenix. I have the 0411 with van tune and new connectors to do the ecm swap, but I'm hesitating. I would like to get it running with the stock black box first. Can the black box be tuned well enough to handle 29lb injectors, the cam, headers, and porting?

Attachments

• IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1865.JPG
    IMG_1865.JPG
    323.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1866.JPG
    IMG_1866.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 20

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last few weeks were spent cleaning the frame to bare metal, scrubbing and sandblasting, and finally priming and painting last weekend. Also exploring this cover on the passenger side. It was held on entirely with seam sealer. Underneath is a square passage feeding fresh air to the ac blower. I put aluminum window screen over the opening and held it on with a big hose clamp, which should keep the leaves out of my new evaporator core! I put the cover back on with 4 sheet metal screws. I painted the firewall friday, and put the rebuilt ac in and dash back on today. Next weekend I hope to get the new engine in the frame.

I started the teardown for this engine swap in November. Now six months later, the first new parts are finally going back on, but I am running out of patience. It's about to get really hot here in phoenix. I have the 0411 with van tune and new connectors to do the ecm swap, but I'm hesitating. I would like to get it running with the stock black box first. Can the black box be tuned well enough to handle 29lb injectors, the cam, headers, and porting?
Make sure you seal the cover well or the first time it rains water will run down the windshield and leak into the footwell. Because the cover is recessed it will hold water when parked facing uphill and seep through even the smallest gap in the sealant. That and the little screw hole next to it that holds the plastic cowl trim in place.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m happy with my black box tune from BlackBear. I’ve got 36# injectors, without the porting you did, it seems good. I didn’t want to introduce the 0411 at the same time either

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Pirate. I talked to you before about your blackbear tune. How easy is it to tune the box with an Hp tuners system? For twice the cost of blackbear, I could get my own tuner.