99 L29 454 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Pirate. I talked to you before about your blackbear tune. How easy is it to tune the box with an Hp tuners system? For twice the cost of blackbear, I could get my own tuner.

Same level of difficulty as tuning the 411. It sounds like you're kicking around the idea of tuning it yourself.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to do the 0411 swap after all. Do you guys get the right bracket for it? Has anyone put it inside the cab?

And does anyone recognize this bolt? 10mm thread, 11mm hex. I don't remember where it came from.

Attachments

• IMG_1875.JPG
    IMG_1875.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 7

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But I'm also scared of 0411 issues like the cam relearn and stuff. Is it something that might not be a problem, or will it always be a problem?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to do the 0411 swap after all. Do you guys get the right bracket for it? Has anyone put it inside the cab?

And does anyone recognize this bolt? 10mm thread, 11mm hex. I don't remember where it came from.

Looks like a steering shaft bolt wiped completely clean of its factory threadlocker.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But I'm also scared of 0411 issues like the cam relearn and stuff. Is it something that might not be a problem, or will it always be a problem?
I don't know if you've poked around the 454 thread, I think that's something that was covered. I know I fought with a relearn for a long time and finally got it, it was a result of two pins needing to be grounded and the disabling of two codes that kept showing up.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's it supercharged, thanks! Yeah B, I see people having problems and usually getting them fixed. Can the cam learn thing be done with Hp Tuners, or does it have to be a particular scan tool like a Snapon?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's it supercharged, thanks! Yeah B, I see people having problems and usually getting them fixed. Can the cam learn thing be done with Hp Tuners, or does it have to be a particular scan tool like a Snapon?
You can perform a relearn with either a professional grade scanner or using HPTuners; @Mangonesailor and I performed a relearn in his working parking lot with HPTuners after we made the aforementioned adjustments in the tune.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks B! I still can't decide on everything. I think I heard the 98-99 black boxes more capable than the 97. Is there any reason to consider a 98 black box, verses the potential issues with the 0411?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks B! I still can't decide on everything. I think I heard the 98-99 black boxes more capable than the 97. Is there any reason to consider a 98 black box, verses the potential issues with the 0411?
Since your truck is a 99 HPTuners does support the factory black box, however from a tunability stand point you'll be able make leaps and bounds worth of tuning adjustments with the 0411.
As far as potential issues go, I only had struggles with my swap because of some mistakes I made during the repining process as well as a few previously unknown gremlins that didn't show up until I performed the swap.
Most people don't have any trouble 0411 swapping their trucks.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If anything, 0411 may accentuate pre-existing issues that were getting glossed over by the older tech.
Not a difficult swap at all, and worth the work.