97 454 L29 Distributor Help....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TN454K3500

Reaction score
In the tear down of replacing injectors I have ran into an issue with my distributor... The truck was running fine before this, just had the long start issue after it was warm.

I was hoping to be able to just pull the distributor out and put it back in the exact same position. Before I pulled it I bumped it to what I thought the #1 position would be.
You must be registered for see images attach

Once in this position I removed the distributor, but I couldn't find the retaining clip. I thought I just dropped it behind on top of the transmission. When I went to retrieve it I found that it was broken. *Edit, this is not broken after I looked at it closer"

I inspected the distributor and it was worn badly, so I went and got a new one

Now when I go to drop the new distributor in place of the previous one it does not want to seat fully

The amount of space sticking up is about the distance of the bottom of the distributor to this key, I am wonder if this key is not aligning with what is at the bottom?

Next post due to picture limit....

Last edited:

TN454K3500

Reaction score
To get the distributor to seat fully, I have to turn it quite a bit and it is off from where I had it originally

I am really not sure where to go from here.

Since I haven't turned the engine over should I install it where it seats?
Should I install it in the position it was and put the new clamp on it and turn it over to see if it seats (If that key doesn't align with something like I suspect)?

TN454K3500

Reaction score
Alright, got it put back together and NOPE it did not run.... I have a question.. Mechanically I know I got the distributor back in the same position on the camshaft.

For the OEM distributor retain clip it is designed to allow the distributor to be rotated - the one I thought was broke when comparing to the new (picture above). The one I got from the local parts store is not, it locks on the distributor like the one in the image below. I set the distributor exactly where it was before, but this lock has rotated the cap CCW some.

I wish I had actual pictures, but an easy way to describe it is on the back left (near cylinder 8) upper plenum bolt. When I pulled my original out I could access the bolt easily, so the spark plug wires were not directly left - right, it was rotated CW slightly. When I installed the new one and how it locked it in, I had to remove the front spark plug boot from the distributor cap to access the bolt.

This is how it was set before, I don't have a picture of how it is now (I'm at work....)

This didn't hit me until this morning when I was working it back through my head. I was wrenching until about 10 last night and when it didn't start I just stopped.

1) I am thinking of just putting the old clip back on and trying to rotate it to the original position to see if it will run? Then go into the fine tuning with a scanner.
2) Is there a technical reason it should be a in a position where the wires should be straight left - right and the way that clip with a lock can be used? I really don't think this is possible and that it needs to rotate to get in final position.

Thanks, this is my first real time dealing with a distributor by myself.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my experience where you have the dizzy set it should run. You could try advancing it some. Turn counterclockwise to advance.
Does it back fire when you try to start it, Do you have spark to the plug?

TN454K3500

Reaction score
From my experience where you have the dizzy set it should run. You could try advancing it some. Turn counterclockwise to advance.
Does it back fire when you try to start it, Do you have spark to the plug?
I am going to make sure I have fuel and spark when I get home. I didn't have much time this morning but I checked fuel was at the rail.

It just cranks and then kind of chugs a little if I give some gas, never really fires.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mechanically I know I got the distributor back in the same position on the camshaft.
Did you follow the service manual procedure where you align the rotor with marks cast-into the distributor body? The official procedure is listed in the FREE service manuals that can be downloaded from links available on this web site.

For the OEM distributor retain clip it is designed to allow the distributor to be rotated - the one I thought was broke when comparing to the new (picture above). The one I got from the local parts store is not, it locks on the distributor like the one in the image below...

1) I am thinking of just putting the old clip back on and trying to rotate it to the original position to see if it will run? Then go into the fine tuning with a scanner.
Throw that new distributor hold-down clamp into the scrap-metal bin, or get your money back. It's a piece of crap.

2) Is there a technical reason it should be a in a position where the wires should be straight left - right and the way that clip with a lock can be used?
No.

You can play games with turning the distributor driveshaft so that it'll maybe align with the drive-tang on the bottom of the distributor. I have NEVER ONCE done this, although I've heard of other folks who've had success.

When it's me, I get the distributor dropped-in like you had it, then crank the engine. The distributor shaft turns, which aligns the drive tang to the oil pump drive shaft...and then the distributor body drops into place by itself.

Crank the engine around as needed--watching the distributor rotor for guidance--until you're back at TDC-Compression of #1. Align distributor body, snug clamp. Install rotor, cap, plug wires, etc. Start engine, set the distributor offset so the crank sensor signal and the cam sensor signal are in proper synchronization. You'll need a scan tool for this. Tighten clamp so distributor won't move "in service".

Last edited:

TN454K3500

Reaction score
Did you follow the service manual procedure where you align the rotor with marks cast-into the distributor body? The official procedure is listed in the FREE service manuals that can be downloaded from links available on this web site.
First, thanks for the information.

No I didn’t follow it but if this doesn’t work I will be removing it and starting from square one with this.

TN454K3500

Reaction score
All, thanks for the help. Got it rough set and running this morning. If anyone ever comes across the same problems I did this Youtube Video has good info:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media