99 5.7 vortec crankshaft pulley wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
so my harmonic balancer is shot right?
Not necessarily, that pulley bolts to the center of the balancer. The pulley could be bent, could be bolted to the balancer incorrectly. Your video does not show the balancer.
Remove the drive belt, mark the pulley and the balancer, unbolt the pulley from the balancer and run the engine and see it the balancer wobbles. if it does not then reattach the pulley rotated 120 degrees and retorque the bolts. Run the engine without the belt and see if the pulley still wobbles. if it does it is the pulley that is defective.

socal k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not necessarily, that pulley bolts to the center of the balancer. The pulley could be bent, could be bolted to the balancer incorrectly. Your video does not show the balancer.
Remove the drive belt, mark the pulley and the balancer, unbolt the pulley from the balancer and run the engine and see it the balancer wobbles. if it does not then reattach the pulley rotated 120 degrees and retorque the bolts. Run the engine without the belt and see if the pulley still wobbles. if it does it is the pulley that is defective.
when i was recently removing a flathead screwdriver tip that was broken off into my clyinder, i was turning the engine clockwise and counter clockwise to fish out the piece. when i was turning clockwise it loosed the bolt on the crankshaft pully and i tightened it right away but only so much before the engine would turn. I think your supposed to torque that bolt pretty good.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think your supposed to torque that bolt pretty good.

The L31 spec for the harmonic balancer center bolt is 74lbft, not really all that tight... e.g., nothing near what the wheel nuts on a K1500 require.

With the serpentine belt on the engine, put a socket/breaker bar on the nut on the alternator pulley; use that to keep the engine from turning while you bear on the harmonic balancer bolt... assuming the belt doesn't slip on the alt pulley.

YMMV.

There may be other methods but that's my go-to.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DWPreston1969