5.7 Vortec Hard start when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBis

Reaction score
2000 c3500 5.7 vortec.

All items replaced so far are gm genuine or delco.
ICM, coil, cap, rotor, fuel pressure regulator, oil sending unit (one wire type), crank position sensor, temp sens

Truck came with updated injectors.

Code reader says cannot connect to ecu, but has power. So is there a chance for computer to be bad?

Problem: after running engine up to temp then letting sit for at least an hour and up to about 4 hours, engine cranks for up to 8 seconds, has lousy start, then dies. P1351 pops up and I have a handful of delco ICMs now.
If I hold the gas pedal to the floor, the truck will start and not die, so I’m suspecting something to do with flooding.

I’m ready to buy a pre flashed computer, I don’t know what to do from here.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you change the temperature sensor (by the thermostat) or the gauge sender on the driver cylinder head. The first one could cause the hard hot start like that since the computer uses the temperature data from it. Too bad your scanner won’t connect - you’d be looking to see what temperature the sensor is reporting.

JBis

Reaction score
Did you change the temperature sensor (by the thermostat) or the gauge sender on the driver cylinder head. The first one could cause the hard hot start like that since the computer uses the temperature data from it. Too bad your scanner won’t connect - you’d be looking to see what temperature the sensor is reporting.
yep the sensor, not the sender. Holding the throttle to the floor helps it start though. MAF has also been replaced. Going to look tomorrow for what pins I should test in the ecu to see if a wire broke.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The GM manual will have a diagnostic procedure for when a scanner won’t connect. PDFs can be downloaded at this link:

I don’t know if 2000 is available, but 1999 is in post #77 and should be close enough.

Have you checked fuel pressure? Spec is 60-66 psi key on, engine off. Since it does better flooring the gas (clear-flood mode, temporarily pauses injector pulses) it could be a leaking injector.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2000 c3500 5.7 vortec.

All items replaced so far are gm genuine or delco.
ICM, coil, cap, rotor, fuel pressure regulator, oil sending unit (one wire type), crank position sensor, temp sens
Plug wires, spark plugs verified good?

Oil pressure sending unit for the fuel pump?

Is there a relearn procedure for the crank sensor?

Truck came with updated injectors.
Any idea what brand?

Code reader says cannot connect to ecu, but has power. So is there a chance for computer to be bad?
What "code reader"?

Any chance of coming up with a real scan tool?

Problem: after running engine up to temp then letting sit for at least an hour and up to about 4 hours, engine cranks for up to 8 seconds, has lousy start, then dies. P1351 pops up
Follow the service manual procedure for P1351.

The GM manual will have a diagnostic procedure for when a scanner won’t connect.
Yup.

Have you checked fuel pressure? Spec is 60-66 psi key on, engine off. Since it does better flooring the gas (clear-flood mode, temporarily pauses injector pulses) it could be a leaking injector.
Also a good idea.