98 K3500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm open to new ideas and suggestions

Yeah i need to get that serpentine stuff from you and get it installed on the 79

Thanks again, appreciate the help.

No worries. your welcome.

Let's see, you wanna be streetable & offroad worthy.

You have manual doors, so how about grabbing another set of doors & making half doors?
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a link for more ideas:
https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46053.0

But wait, what about the hinges you ask? Our trucks dont have quick hinges like some other vehicles. I've thought about that too. My thoughts are to grab hinges from a newer truck or car. A loaded Impala has to weigh more than a manual gmt400 door right? Ive seen some newer GM door hinges that just require a 10mm bolt removed, then lift the door off. A trip to the j/y to do some site seeing & take some measurements. So holding the weight won't be the issue. It will be whether or not it fits in the space ones ability to mount it to the doors & body.

Being that you have a crew cab, you would need 2 sets of donor hinges. 1 set for the stock doors & 1 set for the half doors.

Then w/ the body side halves, you make wall mounts to hang the currently not in use set of doors.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know that you have light grey interior & that you were thinking about swapping the front bench seat for buckets & a console.

I know were there is a 2015 Silverado double cab that is being parted out. It has light grey cloth interior. Maybe grab the jump seat from it?

Here is a couple of pics showing that someone who has installed one into a gmt400. I got these pics off of fb.

You'll get better cupholders than the dash provides, console for storage, a jump seat in case its needed or you wanna get the wife a little closer & it has a pwr port inside to help w/ charging your phone.

konajoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the half door idea, even the door hanger is cool

The center console fits in there pretty nice. Is it possible to use the front seats and center console from a newer truck?

konajoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Messing around with wheelbase ideas...

Stock Wheelbase is 168.5" -28" + 1" forward for the ORD front axle brackets = 141.5"

Basically the stock extended cab short bed wheelbase

The tire is a 37x1350x17 and the tape measure is about where a 5' bed would end

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like the half door idea, even the door hanger is cool

The center console fits in there pretty nice. Is it possible to use the front seats and center console from a newer truck?

The console in the pic I provided is like what you'd find in a k2xx gen. I do not know what they did to make it fit. There are some guys running the newer seats also, again I don't know what they did to mount them.

I would suspect some cutting, relocating & welding the feet, maybe some spacers?

This pic is of a 2010ish Super Duty console. The grey color looks like a good match for our grey. The console looks rugged w/ good cupholders, 2 front & 2 rear. Plenty of storage space. Shape looks like it would compliment the lines of a gmt400 well.

I believe this pic came from this forum.

Last edited:

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Joe,

As per our discussion the other day about clearance lights, here are some pics of the roof of a 98 k3500 w/ factory clearance lights. As you can see, the inner skin has the holes stamped in it for the wiring. I haven't looked on a non-light model to see if the inner skin is stamped or not.