98 K3500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

konajoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D

I really like the cab marker lights and wish that they came with the truck originally, just not sure if i want to start drilling holes in the roof.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
Really like the WFO stuff but it's a little bit out of my budget. I'll probably use the Off Road Design Solid Axle Conversion kit and run leaf springs. I've started looking around for a Ford Dana 60 front axle

That's definitely my go to if I swap. Its a TON cheaper than the WFO. Where the spring hangers, leaf springs, axle, and steering is under $2000 instead of a over $3500 for the WFO.

Plus, Off Road Design is in Carbondale, CO, which is only 40 minutes from me! Hell, I drive passed there when i go to my girlfriend's house.

A coil-sprung Ford Dana 60 from a Super Duty would be cool, but that's so expensive. Between the more expensive axle, custom crossmember, 4 link parts, coil buckets, coil springs, etc, its just too expensive.

If youre looking for a Dana 60, go to car-part.com

konajoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know that you want to, lol
:gr_grin:

That's definitely my go to if I swap. Its a TON cheaper than the WFO. Where the spring hangers, leaf springs, axle, and steering is under $2000 instead of a over $3500 for the WFO.

Plus, Off Road Design is in Carbondale, CO, which is only 40 minutes from me! Hell, I drive passed there when i go to my girlfriend's house.

A coil-sprung Ford Dana 60 from a Super Duty would be cool, but that's so expensive. Between the more expensive axle, custom crossmember, 4 link parts, coil buckets, coil springs, etc, its just too expensive.

If youre looking for a Dana 60, go to car-part.com
Nice, im jealous... id be stopping at the ORD shop buying parts for my Squarebody & GMT400 all the time.

The earlier king pin axles are a better choice for these swaps. Plus you could always upgrade to the custom ORD springs down the road.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
Nice, im jealous... id be stopping at the ORD shop buying parts for my Squarebody & GMT400 all the time.

I REALLY want to, but my '98 is in Texas with family, and not running, so I daily drive a '19 Impala. Plus, my girlfriend lives an hour and a half away, so I'm not trying to make that drive longer than I have to. Otherwise, I would :anitoof:

And I would love to use a kingpin axle, but they're so expensive and a LOT harder to find than ball joint Dana 60s. I'd rather just buy the expensive Spicer ball joints and call it a day.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why are the Kingpin axles better? I've always read that, but don't understand the reason. Are they just stronger? The few articles I've read make it sounds like treasure hunting for these parts for a SAS. D60 from like a 70s-ish F250 (maybe something related to brake compatibility?) and some GM square body leaf springs?...can't really remember all the details anymore, but those parts can't be easy to source, at least not around here locally.

On the other hand, the Superduty D60 front axles from early 2000s go for around $500 here; there's plenty of them. Are those not a good option? Is it a leaf spring vs coil spring issue?

I personally would like a "lift" no higher than what a stock Superduty from the era's height were. I don't have a need or desire to my truck lifted any higher.

konajoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kingpins are stronger than balljoints, plus the crossover steering arm bolts on in place of the kingpin cap.

'77.5-79 F250 (sometimes) '79 F350 31-1/2" spring pad spacing

'85-91 F350 36-1/2" spring pad spacing

Off Road Design makes kits to accommodate either axle

Combine their SAS kit with 2" Squarebody front springs for a low lift (5" total)