97 z71 extended cab 2 sundown sa 8s box designer needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

otroc

Reaction score
hey im new to the forum first post actually the easist way loooks to be subs foward port to passenger or driver side.every box builder i go to doesnt have the plans so im seeing if i can at least find some demensions on this set up im looking for i can raise the seat to the height as needed i can go 2 but would go 4 inches if needed so whos a guy can step up and help me out with some demensions wanting to tune lower 35 ish will get amp according 2 the set up looking for sql not crazy but sound real nice and clean i would love to buy a complete box if some one had one laying around let me know

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome! Many places sell premade boxes for that truck. I have 3 JL Audio 10's in my 97 xcab and they fire forward and sound great. The box was built by a local guy. Where are ou located?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Depending on how "picky" you want to be with SQ, ported boxes are often not the best choice. Properly designed sealed boxes typically have a wider frequency response. Ported boxes sacrifice some lower range (typically below 35 Hz but it depends on the port tuning) in order to tune to a specific frequency response. When they hit this resonant level, they can produce more SPL at that level than a sealed box.

A common misconception with subwoofers is that you need to point them at the listener like mids or highs. A sub driver is essentially non directional. Meaning: it doesn't have to point forward. The wave form is so long, the human ear has a hard time picking out direction when talking separation from the source in 0-10-ish feet. You can point it at the floor, a wall, etc as long as it's not right up against it. Often, sub drivers can be made to produce more or cleaner sound by "reflecting" the wave off a solid surface. Not always, but it can work well if done correctly. Get it wrong and.......:(

A bigger concern with sub drivers and SQ is rattling and resonant panels and pieces. Any rattling is just noise and detracts from a "clean" SQ experience.

Something else to consider is that ported boxes also require more volume than a sealed unit....an important consideration in a pickup truck.

For a box design, there's lots of calculators out there for port and box dimensions. Google will turn one up pretty handily. Just take the space you have a available and keep working the dimensions until you get one that works.

Don't forget when you do your design you will loose volume for the thickness of the box material and the volume of the driver itself.

Cheers

:)

Last edited: