97 k1500 p0300

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97k1500305

Reaction score
Hi so I replaced my distributor today after having a p1345 code and it took the p1345 code away, now it has a p0300 code and is running worse than before like it has almost no acceleration. I set the cam retard to 0 with a scan tool, any ideas? I forgot to mention that the truck was running great prior to replacing the distributor and there was no p0300 code. I had a buddy help me set the cam retard and he had his scanner under the hood adjusting the distributor while it was idling,now I read somewhere else that you have to have it at 1100-1200rpm while setting it cuz it can’t be set at idle is that correct?

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is correct. 1000-1200 rpm’s. I shoot for 1100.

Last edited:

97k1500305

Reaction score
That is correct. 1000-1200 rpm’s. I shoot for 1100.
Okay would it being offset a little cause my truck to be super doggy? Like half throttle it barely accelerates up to 60 like it is out of time or something. It wasn’t doing this before I replaced the distributor.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did the distributor come with a new cap? If so, try swapping on the old cap.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Okay would it being offset a little cause my truck to be super doggy? Like half throttle it barely accelerates up to 60 like it is out of time or something. It wasn’t doing this before I replaced the distributor.
Sounds like you are speculating about the cam retard setting you did at idle instead of the recommended 1000 to 1200 rpm. Reset at the specified time and you will be enlightened.
I can only assume, you did not say, that the new distributor came with cap and rotor. Hope it is a good quality distributor, like @Caman96 was asking about. What condition are the plugs in. Pics if you can, of plugs and old cap/rotor.

97k1500305

Reaction score
Sounds like you are speculating about the cam retard setting you did at idle instead of the recommended 1000 to 1200 rpm. Reset at the specified time and you will be enlightened.
I can only assume, you did not say, that the new distributor came with cap and rotor. Hope it is a good quality distributor, like @Caman96 was asking about. What condition are the plugs in. Pics if you can, of plugs and old cap/rotor.
Yeah my buddy set the cam retard under the hood with his scanner under there with him, when he was doing it he was just snapping the throttle every time he adjusted the distributor. I don’t know if that is the issue since you’re supposed to raise the rpm when doin it? The plugs and wires were just replaced as well they all look good upon removal now.