97 454 L29 build plans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Everything about that engine is designed for low RPM torque. A supercharger or turbo would be the easiest and probably most cost effective way to increase your power and then you wouldn't need to bother about the RPM. Rather than investing much money into refreshing or improving the existing heads I would be more inclined to replace them. I think the 1997 engine already has 3/8" pushrods. A different intake will definitely free up higher RPMs, but you'll have to change a lot of other things if you go that route.

Mine didn't, I think late 97 did. Mine's an early one with the old style fuel sender.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was wanting to get Pro-Flo XT EFI Intake, but it is not actually even in stock currently.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
7000 feet elevation is most likely most of you problem. When driving my 454SS in the mountains I can tell a huge difference in elevation changes. If I go down to Bullhead City at about 600 feet it's a whole different animal. You might try a ram air to give it more oxygen.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Started this build process yesterday. Been reviewing plenty of other build threads and research up to this point. Day 1 & 2 of tear down behind me, not as far as I used to get when in my 20’s, but feel good about my progress at 67. Trucks were simpler in the 70’s.
a week ago I was inspecting the underside to assess the project, noticed the front two O2 sensor connectors looked out of place and handled them a bit. Well next day started threw a p0102 and blew the eng1 fuse. Crap, I didn’t need this problem. A little research lead me back to those O2 sensors and closer look showed a broken wire. Patched it up and was able to clear the code with a new fuse. Planned on replacing them anyway, but didn’t need an existing problem to troubleshoot when build was done. This weekend got the front of the engine stripped and front wiring harness disconnected and labeled. Took lots of video clips as I went along. Working on bottom side exhaust and wiring harness underside. Used Blaster on the exhaust flange bolts and 1/2“ air gun, those nuts were smoking. Blaster and two long breakers on the egr nuts separated without tossing me off the fender. Cut the exhausts back to crossmember, will be adding headers on this.
hard parts so far: knock sensor caps were a bit difficult to get off, squeeze them hard. Starter heat shield looks to be hanging up on the knock sensor as I was trying to remove the starter, will pickup with that tomorrow

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So a couple of questions so far.
what is the electrical connection on the bottom of the power steering pump?
I‘ve got quite an oil leak in the oil cooler top line to the radiator at the rubber to metal tube connector and down onto the steering gearbox. I planned to replace those oil cooler lines and I see lots of people have issues with them. Replacement recommendation?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So what's the plan then? Boost is king at elevation if you're willing to go that route. Whereabouts are you here in CO? I'm in Colorado Springs myself.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So a couple of questions so far.
what is the electrical connection on the bottom of the power steering pump?
I‘ve got quite an oil leak in the oil cooler top line to the radiator at the rubber to metal tube connector and down onto the steering gearbox. I planned to replace those oil cooler lines and I see lots of people have issues with them. Replacement recommendation?

I'd go with AC Delco oil cooler lines. I did so to my dually back in 2017. That connector is for the EVO on the power steering. Gives you high assist in a parking lot and less assist on the highway.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
XR270 cam and entire adjustable valve train that goes with it, jba shorties, ls1 injectors in stock mpfi, machine the block and heads to bump the compression, but that is not going to gain much I know. BB tune, replace FPR, dizzy, and wires, and anything else defective along the way. I’m in Palmer Lake, going to have 2Js do the machine work.

supercharged111, I’ll message you my phone number, would like to discuss ideas.