97 454 L29 build plans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hope to get the upper intake and dizzy out today, to check out the bell housing bolts back there. Not sure how much pain those are going to be. i have a 33” 3/8 extension and wobble. Any tips on those?
any tips on removing the motor mount bolts? Thanks

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
doing this project outside, rain and snow day off. for working across the top of the engine bay, I cut a couple of 2x6's to fit inside the hood recess in the fenders, provided me a platform to work from and access upper back part of the engine. the wiring heat shield tube above the starter looks to be crimped between the block and exhaust manifold from the factory. I'll see if I can wedge it out tomorrow, don't want to try removing the manifold and snap studs, bad angle on them.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if anyone is following and has done a similar build, cam , injectors, etc. What did you have to provide Blackbear for them to set the flow rate for larger # injectors and stock FPR? it looks like the ls1 injectors while higher #'s than the 19# stock injectors, operate at a lower FP rate than the stock FPR do they just adjust this in tables in the PCM? that is really a blackbox/blackhole for me, so go easy on that question, help educate me. thanks

Papablunt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if anyone is following and has done a similar build, cam , injectors, etc. What did you have to provide Blackbear for them to set the flow rate for larger # injectors and stock FPR? it looks like the ls1 injectors while higher #'s than the 19# stock injectors, operate at a lower FP rate than the stock FPR do they just adjust this in tables in the PCM? that is really a blackbox/blackhole for me, so go easy on that question, help educate me. thanks
I just told them what injectors I was running (LS1) and they squared it away on the first tune. Tell them your setup and let them figure it out.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Negative. Just a guy who likes Chevys living in Colorado Springs. Lol.

Yeah I saw your build again and decided that wasn't you.

Piratehunter LS1 runs at 4 bar like the 454. As long as you use something common like that he can hunt down IFR.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, a few cold windy, rainy and snowy days have slowed me down outside. got all the access below the dizzy, more room between firewall and block than I was expecting. those two top bellhousing bolts, were not so hard to get out. everything else, wiring, cooler lines, etc is clear. left the lower four bellhousing bolts in for now. will be warmer this week. need to hook up the cherry picker, get the motor mount bolts pulled and those 4 BH bolts, hope to lift it out and ready for machine shop by end of the week. more replacement parts are being shipped. will add a parts list later, so far expected stuff.