96 k1500 sitting for half a decade, need recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saren42

Reaction score
So, I'm finally getting a new trans for my truck, and I'm trying to find recommendations on stuff I should preemptively do before I get it up and running. It has run for short bits of time off and on since Nov 2020, but it's low on fuel now, and the radiator is shot (I got a replacement to put in already). I was figuring right off, obviously a new trans, gonna do a quick rebuilt on the NP243, since it leaks out the tail shaft (and likely replace the actuator). I am going to get new radiator hoses for it, may do the vaccum lines as well, new air filter, ect. I'm also looking at getting a good quality synthetic oil to put in, with a bottle of Seafoam or Berryman's B12 (kind of a crapshoot, both work well enough and are suggested by different groups equally) to help clean up the nasty sludgy residue left in the crank, and in the valve train. Will put in new plugs and wires as well probably.

Beyond all that, is there anything I'm missing I should probably do for the engine? Since I'm getting it going and running, to prep it for daily use, since I need a vehicle for work, since the engine on what was my current daily driver blew up.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Change as many fluids as you can before turning the key. As well as the filters.
Pull the distributor and prime the engine before firing it. Worst thing you can do is just cranking it with 5 years of oil completely drained from the bearings and upper valvetrain...
Edit: or even sitting 1 year, I'd be darn cautious...

Saren42

Reaction score
Change as many fluids as you can before turning the key. As well as the filters.
Pull the distributor and prime the engine before firing it. Worst thing you can do is just cranking it with 5 years of oil completely drained from the bearings and upper valvetrain...
Edit: or even sitting 1 year, I'd be darn cautious...
So, thankfully, it's been less than a year, been about 4-5 months since I started it last,, because the battery in it is shot, and I lost my jump pack. But, that is a damn fine idea, think it would work well enough just pulling the plug wires? Since I'm really not wanting to mess with the distributor at this point, and I'm likely gonna be changing the plugs and wires anyways, that just would make my life a bit easier.

Also.... I need to remember to do the VCM transmission ground fix, since I have an early model 96, and I'm willing to bet it was a major contributing factor to it eating transmissions.

Saren42

Reaction score
x2 on Berryman’s. Fuel filter too!
Thanks, I just remembered fuel filter and was gonna edit my previous post, so thanks!

I did the last fuel filter, when I did my fuel pump.... 12-13 years ago.... and I'm willing to bet my dad never did it while he had it and was destroying the truck....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EVERYTHING rubber is suspect. Inspect it all; replace as needed.
Hoses including PS and heater in addition to radiator hoses and brake hoses. Serpentine belt, (and it's tensionioner and the various pulleys.) Engine mount cushions (good luck finding decent replacements. At least with the clamshell design, the rotted OEM mounts aren't a safety issue like the aftermarket replacements.) Trans mount. Vacuum hoses. Look closely at the tires, (check and inflate the spare, too, and make sure you have all the OEM tire-changing tools) brake caliper mount rubber O-rings and seals (I pull the calipers apart for cleaning and inspection of the internal seal and piston) body cushions, suspension bushings, CV boots, etc. Lube all suspension/driveshaft grease zerks when you're verifying the rubber boots. And while you're lubing all the suspension joints, check 'em for wear/looseness.

ALL fluids--including gasoline if it's as old as you say it is. I dump a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the tank at every oil change. You can pump the tank dry using the fuel pump when the fuel filter is disconnected. Consider a new fuel pump and filter sock when the tank is empty. Coolant, brake fluid, axle lube F and R, PS fluid. You'll be changing the trans and transfer case fluid during the rebuild; but assure that the trans cooler(s) have been flushed, flow freely, and have no remaining debris inside. SOMETIMES it's easier to just replace the cooler(s) especially if the radiator needs attention anyway. When draining coolant, be sure to screw out the knock sensor on the passenger side, and the block drain on the driver's side so you don't have trapped coolant or flush water in the water jackets. Poke the holes with a Phillips screwdriver if they don't drain--there's often a crust of sediment that has to be broken before the coolant comes out. The knock sensor goes back in with sealant on the threads, and a specific torque. While the coolant is drained, install a replacement quick-connector in the intake manifold for the heater system. The originals are infamous for corrosion, in a rare reversal of normality, the Dorman replacement is five times as good as "Genuine GM". (At least, it was when I bought mine ~20 years ago.) I would install a Prestone "Flush and Fill" kit in a heater hose so the whole cooling system can be flushed.

ALL filters, and consider installing a PS filter in the return hose.

Park brake operation--cables are often seized or so sticky that they don't release properly. Absolutely crucial on pickups that have the crappy 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe rear brakes.

Inspect brake linings F and R. If the rotors/drums have surface rust but no heavy wear, deep scoring, use the old pads/shoes to scrub 'em clean for twenty miles and ten stops, then consider new pads/shoes as needed.

FULLY charge battery; have battery tested for CCA (and fluid level as applicable.) Have the rest of the starting/charging system tested once the vehicle runs.

Check all the usual "tune-up" items--cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, PCV, throttle body cleaning, maybe MAF cleaning, etc.

The Vortec distributor is a pain in the asp to get stabbed properly. Consider leaving it the hell alone. I DO NOT crank the engine with the plugs out to build oil pressure. That's just needless cranking on the starter; and needless rotations of the crankshaft, cam, pistons, wrist pins, etc. Make sure you have fuel pressure, and FIRE THAT BIITCH UP. The sooner it's running, the sooner the wrist pins, cam lobes/lifter bottoms, and cylinder walls are getting splashed with oil.

It's tempting to do a preemptive strike on the lower intake gaskets; especially if the coolant is already drained. There was a time when intake gaskets were a chronic failure point; but I think all the bad ones have been changed by now. I think I'd wait until there's a few hundred miles on the engine; that way you'd have an idea if the spider fuel injector assembly needs attention at the same time.

If you have the transmission out anyway, verify that the flexplate is in good condition--cracked flexplates are VERY common on one-piece rear main engines, and broken teeth have always been something of an issue. And...having gone that far...maybe slide a new rear-main seal into the aluminum adapter behind the flexplate.

Last edited:

Saren42

Reaction score
EVERYTHING rubber is suspect. Inspect it all; replace as needed.
Hoses including PS and heater in addition to radiator hoses and brake hoses. Serpentine belt, (and it's tensionioner and the various pulleys.) Engine mount cushions (good luck finding decent replacements. At least with the clamshell design, the rotted OEM mounts aren't a safety issue like the aftermarket replacements.) Trans mount. Vacuum hoses. Look closely at the tires, brake caliper mounts (I pull the calipers apart for cleaning and inspection) body cushions, suspension bushings, CV boots, etc. Lube all suspension/driveshaft grease zerks when you're verifying the rubber boots. And while you're lubing all the suspension joints, check 'em for wear/looseness.

ALL fluids--including gasoline if it's as old as you say it is. I dump a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the tank at every oil change. You can pump it out using the fuel pump when the fuel filter is disconnected. Consider a new fuel pump and filter sock when the tank is empty. Coolant, brake fluid, axle lube F and R, PS fluid. You'll be changing the trans and transfer case fluid during the rebuild; but assure that the trans cooler(s) have been flushed, flow freely, and have no remaining debris inside. SOMETIMES it's easier to just replace the cooler(s) especially if the radiator needs attention anyway. When draining coolant, be sure to screw out the knock sensor on the passenger side, and the block drain on the driver's side so you don't have trapped coolant or flush water in the water jackets. Poke the holes with a Phillips screwdriver if they don't drain--there's often a crust of sediment that has to be broken before the coolant comes out. The knock sensor goes back in with sealant on the threads, and a specific torque. While the coolant is drained, install a replacement quick-connector in the intake manifold for the heater system. The originals are infamous for corrosion, in a rare reversal of normality, the Dorman replacement is five times as good as "Genuine GM". (At least, it was when I bought mine ~20 years ago.) I would install a Prestone "Flush and Fill" kit in a heater hose so the whole cooling system can be flushed.

ALL filters, and consider installing a PS filter in the return hose.

Park brake operation--cables are often seized or so sticky that they don't release properly. Absolutely crucial on pickups that have the crappy 254mm (10") leading-trailing shoe rear brakes.

Inspect brake linings F and R. If the rotors/drums have surface rust but no heavy wear, deep scoring, use the old pads/shoes to scrub 'em clean for twenty miles and ten stops, then consider new pads/shoes as needed.

FULLY charge battery; have battery tested for CCA (and fluid level as applicable.) Have the rest of the starting/charging system tested once the vehicle runs.

Check all the usual "tune-up" items--cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs, PCV, throttle body cleaning, maybe MAF cleaning, etc.

The Vortec distributor is a pain in the asp to get stabbed properly. Consider leaving it the hell alone. I DO NOT crank the engine with the plugs out to build oil pressure. That's just needless cranking on the starter; and needless rotations of the crankshaft, cam, pistons, wrist pins, etc. Make sure you have fuel pressure, and FIRE THAT BIITCH UP. The sooner it's running, the sooner the wrist pins, cam lobes/lifter bottoms, and cylinder walls are getting splashed with oil.
So, luckily, all 4 corners of brakes were done while it was parked, so the brakes are maybe 2 years old if that, but I will be replacing all the brake lines ASAP though, since... I don't trust em to last too much longer. I already have a Tru-Cool 40k on the way, with the adapters to use -6an lines, and the -6an lines all on the way too. There isn't any coolant in the engine, so..... *shrug* it all ran out when I was losening the radiator, and I barely touched it, and it sprung a leak. The trans is comeing in freshly re-built, and yeah, I don't trust the stock trans cooler, hence the Tru-cool 40k.

The fuel in the take, there is so little left in there, it's not even funny. I was planning to dump a can of fuel system cleaner in there, and fill it up with fresh fuel, may just push it down to the gas station down the street, it's not that far... less than 1/3rd of a mile, lol. I already have one of those flush and fill kits on there, I installed when I first bought the truck, in 2007. And yeah, I plan to do a LONG flush on that engine, since it's sat with not much coolant in there for a while now, I wanna give it a good flushing, then fill it up with high quality coolant.

Will be getting a brand new battery (or will just use the one I got two weeks ago, for the car that blew up it's engine).

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I already have a Tru-Cool 40k on the way, with the adapters to use -6an lines, and the -6an lines all on the way too.
Keep the OEM cooler tubes. Don't use hose where double-wall seamless steel tubing will suffice.

There isn't any coolant in the engine, so..... *shrug* it all ran out when I was losening the radiator, and I barely touched it, and it sprung a leak.
The engine block will not drain below the level of the water pump openings on the front, you MUST pull the drain plugs to get the coolant out of the lower block.

Note that I edited my previous post to include more stuff.

Saren42

Reaction score
Keep the OEM cooler tubes. Don't use hose where double-wall seamless steel tubing will suffice.

The engine block will not drain below the level of the water pump openings on the front, you MUST pull the drain plugs to get the coolant out of the lower block.

Note that I edited my previous post to include more stuff.

For replacing the stock lines (since there has been a trans blow up since they got put in), I'd rather just spend the money it would cost to get new stock lines and get -6AN lines, especially since eventually there will be more work put into the truck than this, and I'd rather do that now than later, since they are getting replaced anyways.

Edit - I should say, the stock trans lines have been in there through multiple 4L60E failures, so they need to be replaced anyways.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock tubes can be easily flushed. It's not like the cooler where there's a chance of debris getting caught in small passages.

Double-wall seamless steel (OEM, and OEM-style) tubing is lighter, less porous, more-durable, more resistant to damage from rocks and other debris thrown up by the tires. Steel tubing has a longer service life than hose. Steel tubing costs less than "steel-braided" rubber hose, and WAY less than steel-braid over Teflon- (PTFE-) liner hose.

Using hose where durable metal tubing will suffice is crazy.