96+ cam in TBI truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lewis1129

Reaction score
I've got a 91 GMC scsb. 350/5spd. I've come across a 98 350 short block with a rod knock and I'm curious if the cam and lifters out of it would be beneficial to my truck. I know the TBI cam is complete junk. Would swapping it over to the hyd. roller help any. I've been wanting to do a cam, but nothing crazy as I use the truck to pull a lawn care trailer. Just looking for a little more out of the old girl.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I've never been one to reuse a cam unless it was going into the same motor. Cam bearings wear to the cam, swapping the cam may wipe out the cam bearing prematurely in the other motor. Like Taylor stated, aftermarket cams are cheap.

Lewis1129

Reaction score
I use the truck in a lawn care business. As of right now. There is an ls swap in its future but not while it's working. Would a small cam still be good when towing and being a little hard on the truck all the time?