96 C2500 Rear End Clunk (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin2500

Reaction score
New truck owner here... 1996 C2500 Ext Cab 5.7 128k

When I take off from a stop I get a jerky feeling in the driveline. Also a pretty big clunk when shifting from reverse to drive.
I checked the U joints and they look good. I also don't think it's the slip yoke.
14bolt semi-float 8 lug

here is a video from under the truck where the shaft goes into the rear end.
camera is on the ground so you can tell when the truck is moving.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thoughts on the issue... is the rear end shot?

You must be registered for see images attach

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
There is too much play in the differential. Either between the ring and pinion gears, the spider and side gears, or both.

Pull the cover to see what's going on. Please remove the fill plug before taking the cover off to look. If the fill plug is stuch you won't be able to fill it up again.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
My dually "Frank" had a ton of play so I adjusted it tighter (the 10.5FF uses adjusters instead of carrier shims). Not recommended. It's sort of a band-aid on a broken leg. I filled it with this to limp it along until I could repair it correctly.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rebuilt mine in February. Cost me about $1100 with me doing all the work myself. Took me about 1 week. My carrier was bad, so I put in an Eaton trueteac, and some 373 gears. All new bearings and seals, spacers, and a crush sleeve eliminator kit . Also replaced the rear wheel cylinders. Mine were starting to leak.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't see anything wrong from watching that video... I think all of my trucks have that little clunk when changing from drive to reverse. Can you find a similar truck and compare the sound? And your mileage is actually quite low for the year. I've got a 9.5" SF 14 bolt with like 240k miles. Only problem is a little leak on the pinion.

I don't know what would cause your jerking though.

But advice of dropping differential cover to take a look at things is good.

Actually, I would remove the driveshaft and raise the wheels. Turn the yoke by hand and see what resistance you gave. Also, run the truck without the driveshaft just to make sure it's not the engine/tranny that's the problem. Easy to do and costs nothing.

Justin2500

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. Everything feels fine while driving and I have no abnormal sounds.
It's just when I take off from a stop or shift from R to D.

I really thought it was a U joint, but they all look and feel solid. The amount of play in the video between shaft and diff to me eliminates anything wrong up front.
I'll loosen the fill plug and crack the cover on the diff and take a look. I don't know what I'm looking for, but maybe I'll see something, lol.
I hope it's something cheap. I'm willing to do the work. I'm in the middle of a complete front end rebuild.