96-98 Vortec Alternator Upgrade AD244

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daddy_dandy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96-98 Vortec Alternator Upgrade AD244

If you want to upgrade your alternator and don't want to modify your wiring harness, heater hose tubing, and buy an additional bracket the AD244 is the way to go. Its a direct bolt on replacement, the only thing you will need is the belt made for running the 140 amp alternator (its available at any part store just ask for a belt and tell them you have the 140 amp alternator)

Some run Sanden compressors which already require a longer belt than stock. The addition of the AD244 requires the belt to be 1 inch longer.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my alternator is pissing me off, so I ordered a 140 amp out of a 98 chevy today. It gets in tomorrow morning so I'll give it a test fit again.

And I'm also going to see how much the extra 1" take out of the tentioner. Mine should have more than enough play in it to get it on there with the factory belt I'm thinking.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doesn't work because the tbi uses a thin mounting tab. I'm going to go at it with a die grinder to get it working

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
IIRC I just bent mine out of the way to run a different cs130 alt, but that was the cs, not ad....

Edit: For the Vortec 5.7L I pulled the alt support bracket off the back when I did my intake gasket, Saw/had no use for it with my alt, you can loosen it and get it out of your way for the most part, but you have to pull that whole accessory bracket off to remove that little alt support...

Last edited:

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
I was told I have a 200 amp on my Tahoe. Can anyone confirm what it is?
You must be registered for see images attach

And yes, the Vortec resonator box removal does make the intake louder. WAY louder.

I can tell you its a CS144, probably a powermaster.... About all I can tell though...

gmt400

Reaction score
Did they ever make a bigger alternator for the obs like on a suburban or 2500 truck?

GWKP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does anyone know what there voltage with the new alt. upgrade is while charging?(vehicle running) cuz in some cases ive heard that this over charges the battery shortening its life. anyone please confirm

jaemitch

Reaction score
does anyone know what there voltage with the new alt. upgrade is while charging?(vehicle running) cuz in some cases ive heard that this over charges the battery shortening its life. anyone please confirm
i beleive that the stock alt charges at 13.8 volts hot - 14.2 volts cold. and the battery wont over charge the vehicles ecm wont let it!!

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The newer alts all have internal voltage regulators to keep the voltage around 14 volts. I have acquired a couple of AD244 cores to do some test fitting for the TBI engines.