96-98 Vortec Alternator Upgrade AD244

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So will the AD-244 fit on a TBI? I know the electrical connector is different, but will it bolt up?

I'm not sure. I have only tried and tested it on a 96-98 Vortec. I would stick with the old 140amp alternator because the plugs should be the same.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
One thing that will help with charging on the stock 105A alt is to upgrade your 10/8 awg charging wire to something a little bigger like 4 awg or 1/0 awg. That and add a ground strait from the alt to the batt and upgrade the ground from batt to body/frame. That alone will help anything, especially if you add accessories to your electrical system.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I would definitely do the big three upgrade concurrently with the alternator upgrade, but the ad-244 is a far more sophisticated alternator than the CS-144, and it doesn't suffer from the needle bearing failure of the CS-144.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I was told I have a 200 amp on my Tahoe. Can anyone confirm what it is?
You must be registered for see images attach

And yes, the Vortec resonator box removal does make the intake louder. WAY louder.

Last edited:

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Yeah, all I have to do now is just go to Lowe's and build a new intake. A 90 degree bend would flow much better than what is there.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So is the mounting pattern the same as a tbi? I'm not worried about swapping connectors, I just can't buy over a 120 amp alt. for a tbi without special ordering one in for a rediculous amount of $$$.

Hodges87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So is the mounting pattern the same as a tbi? I'm not worried about swapping connectors, I just can't buy over a 120 amp alt. for a tbi without special ordering one in for a rediculous amount of $$$.

I would go to a wrecking yard and find a CS144 and have it rebuild at an alternator shop. I don't know much about the TBI, but bottom mounting should be the same, I'm just not sure about the belt clearance. I don't know much at all bout TBI, just the Vortec's.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I'll wait until another one ends up in the scrap bin and test fit for all the TBI guys.