96 5.7 Vortec performance suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the c1500 pickup I got is my project and will end up as my weekend driver. I still have the stock 350 Vortec engine and I want to get as much horsepower as I can with this truck while still being able pass smog. Sounds like a pipe dream but I wanna do it if possible. I’m either thinking going full bolt ons and a tune or just slap a procharger and call it a day. I’m not sure about FOB, I read an article on motortrend about the Vortec engine and with a cam swap and tune they were only able to push 260 to the wheels. The procharger I found makes 60-65% more power, did the math and apparently the truck will make about 300-330 wheel horsepower I think. I could be off. So I wanna see if you guys can give me some guidance, your opinions and suggestions but like I said, I still need it to pass smog because California sucks and I hate it here.

Gears will be the thing you feel the most and I can’t see that affecting passing smog (though IDK I’ve never had to deal with that ever)

Selrahc360

Reaction score
So the c1500 pickup I got is my project and will end up as my weekend driver. I still have the stock 350 Vortec engine and I want to get as much horsepower as I can with this truck while still being able pass smog. Sounds like a pipe dream but I wanna do it if possible. I’m either thinking going full bolt ons and a tune or just slap a procharger and call it a day. I’m not sure about FOB, I read an article on motortrend about the Vortec engine and with a cam swap and tune they were only able to push 260 to the wheels. The procharger I found makes 60-65% more power, did the math and apparently the truck will make about 300-330 wheel horsepower I think. I could be off. So I wanna see if you guys can give me some guidance, your opinions and suggestions but like I said, I still need it to pass smog because California sucks and I hate it here.
383 should run with stock injection.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I have a chance, although I think I’m going to need all the original equipment for the state referee to pass it. I’m not sure I still have a bunch of research to do.
You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
First thing to do is to remove spider injection and update with the multi port fi. It’s plug and play and cost less then $400. Night and day difference with just that. I have eliminated my egr and cat system and tuned mine. 96 k1500. Also added a cold air intake and right now I’m about to remove the engine and rebuild with stage two cam and get it ready for a twin turbo set up. Of course there’s tons of upgrades you can do for an sbc. You just need to choose the set up for your preferences and duty of the truck itself.