96 5.7 Vortec performance suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the c1500 pickup I got is my project and will end up as my weekend driver. I still have the stock 350 Vortec engine and I want to get as much horsepower as I can with this truck while still being able pass smog. Sounds like a pipe dream but I wanna do it if possible. I’m either thinking going full bolt ons and a tune or just slap a procharger and call it a day. I’m not sure about FOB, I read an article on motortrend about the Vortec engine and with a cam swap and tune they were only able to push 260 to the wheels. The procharger I found makes 60-65% more power, did the math and apparently the truck will make about 300-330 wheel horsepower I think. I could be off. So I wanna see if you guys can give me some guidance, your opinions and suggestions but like I said, I still need it to pass smog because California sucks and I hate it here.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention the only thing I have installed was a spectre drop in filter since some have said that the cai for these obs trucks are useless since the stock intake works really well for its age.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
So here’s a pics of a 400 Escalade that is supercharged from Cali San Diego area but it’s worth a shot to try an contact sell with questions? If you’re not getting anything from here.
You must be registered for see images attach

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I built a FBO 97 swb truck several years ago, it put down mid 300 to the wheels with factory intake and air filter. It had a comp extreme efi cam, comp hi-rev lifts, Harlan sharp roller rockers, long tubes, no cats, dynatech mufflers, pcmforless.com did the tune. heads where freshened up with a valve job and the engine was a fresh .30 over with flat tops. It was limited to stock injectors and intake manifold. You can find the dyno video if you search “slowtowpig” on YouTube.

I have a stock bottom end vortec in my drag truck that runs 6.50s. Same as above but running larger cam and a carb and rings gapped at .30, It probably makes low 400 but it runs a 300 shot through a progressive at 28deg of timing on 110vp.

These motors have a ton of potential and are stupid strong, but smog will keep you from doing it. Best bet would be a pro charger and gears.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know what years they can read, but California has some anti PCM tuning check in their smog process. That being said my Vans 383 has a ported stock intake manifold. Using STD Correction for the 102°F temps on the dyno it put down 412 rwhp and 430 rwtq through a 4L85E and GM 10.5" full floating 14 bolt while spinning a clutch fan. Uncorrected it made 382 hp and 399 tq. With the exception of the polished aluminum valve covers to clear the 1.7 roller rockers, the thorley tri-y headers and the BBK 80mm throttle body 4" air ducting it looks stock.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I built a FBO 97 swb truck several years ago, it put down mid 300 to the wheels with factory intake and air filter. It had a comp extreme efi cam, comp hi-rev lifts, Harlan sharp roller rockers, long tubes, no cats, dynatech mufflers, pcmforless.com did the tune. heads where freshened up with a valve job and the engine was a fresh .30 over with flat tops. It was limited to stock injectors and intake manifold. You can find the dyno video if you search “slowtowpig” on YouTube.

I have a stock bottom end vortec in my drag truck that runs 6.50s. Same as above but running larger cam and a carb and rings gapped at .30, It probably makes low 400 but it runs a 300 shot through a progressive at 28deg of timing on 110vp.

These motors have a ton of potential and are stupid strong, but smog will keep you from doing it. Best bet would be a pro charger and gears.
Yeah I figured doing a procharger would be better, it’ll be easier on me in the long run when passing smog. I was told these engines cannot die and are on par with Toyota engines. I’m just gonna do an exhaust, procharger and just drive it till it dies and maybe do an ls3 swap. For now I’m just going to enjoy it. These vortec engines just don’t die. I still have the stock 4 speed auto which runs really well for how old the truck is.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So here’s a pics of a 400 Escalade that is supercharged from Cali San Diego area but it’s worth a shot to try an contact sell with questions? If you’re not getting anything from here.
That’s actually not a bad looking Cadillac, and I’m not a huge fan of Cadillac but this one is nice.