95 sierra air conditioner question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thesporty

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When its 104 I get mid 40s out the center vents. I just wish I had a higher volume of air coming out. I feel bad for my kids in the back seats, lol

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Agreed. I would roll the windows down during an 80 degree day..........unless I'm doing 55mph plus. I'm an old man. Wind buffeting at highway speeds gets a little annoying.
Who am I kidding.......I leave my windows up 90% of the time. There are too many loud and annoying diesels around here.:)

Last edited:

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
we get around 100 F here in BC lots of the summer, my a/c blows cool but not enough to cool down a black truck in that heat

dspud

Reaction score
Related question. I converted my 91 c1500 last year to 134a and actually blows pretty cold. However, after about 20-25 minutes on HI AC The air coming out of the vents lessons and lessons until there is hardly anything coming out, causing the truck to warm up again. if I shut it down a while, or park it and come back out 20-30 minutes later, it works good again for a while.

Is it possible that it's freezing up inside, blocking the air coming through the vents? Or a vent door losing vacuum and closing on me? I haven't taken it apart yet so I am not sure how it's built inside. I don't think it's the blower because it still sounds like it's blowing full blast.

Thanks for any help.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes; it's freezing up the evaporator core. Next time this happens, turn the A/C button off so that the controls are still on, fan still running, but no longer engaging the compressor (and not in any defrost mode as that will run the compressor too.) After a while the warm air blowing at the evaporator will melt the ice and as soon as any real airflow can get through the air will get cold again, as it's passing across the ice. After the ice melts the air will go warm again (obviously) then hit the A/C button to engage the compressor again for cold air.

Freezing up is usually related to a low refrigerant charge, just not low enough to disable the compressor.

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I roll the windows down regardless of outside temp. My windows stay so muddy that they might as well be painted lol.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I get 45 degrees out the vents, pretty much regardless of how warm it is out. If you turn the fan on high it'll actually get uncomfortably cold in the cab.

Pab's

Reaction score
I know this is really old! But I just converted to R134A and Its nice and cool......unless Im in traffic. If I'm driving around it actually get's nice and cold. I was wondering if there was something I could do to mitigate that being that Texas get's hot as hell.

mistaake

Reaction score
y'all are lucky - none of my GMT400 ACs have ever worked. Well, actually, when I had the 96 Yukon, it worked for about a week after I bought it, then it didn't work anymore. Rolling the windows down is cheaper and easier :) Thank god for power windows!! I miss those every time in the Colorado after driving the Suburban.