94 octane vs 87 octane?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Actually, I was talking about the gasoline manufacturers(think premium stations....not privately owned mini marts and such)....the stations that are owned and ran by "big oil"....that's why I mentioned tax breaks, because if they can prove they're selling "greener" fuel, then they'd most likely get some sort of "environment-friendly" tax relief. If not, then idk....but when it comes to gasoline versus mixed, I'd prefer to use what i've experience with...."straight gasoline" and non-regulated diesel(means they don't process it to reduce negative emissions).

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I have used "farm diesel" in the past. Just don't get caught with it. It's pink/red in color and illegal to use on public roads. No detergents, high sulfur.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
It's actually legal for road use here with special licensing, but true, anywhere else don't get caught, especially if you accidentally left your required paperwork at home :nono:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Here if you're fined for it, they calculate state road tax($.64/gallon), tack on a $10/gallon fine, multiply the total by another 10(not sure what it's for), then have a truck come suck all the fuel out of your vehicle(or measure amount in tanks...eg: semi trucks) and multiply the new total by the amount syphoned/measured. You are then released(and if syphoned, the fuel is returned to your vehicle), with a ticket equaling the amount above plus what the pump truck company charged. Luckily if you take it to court, you can bring the papers you forgot to carry in the truck, and they'll throw it outta court.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Actually you are wrong. It is not mandated, it is encouraged and given tax breaks. Individual stations ABSOLUTELY have the option of using 100% gasoline instead of watered down fuel. I've noticed far more frequent carburetor rebuilds on both of my boat motors as well as reduced longevity from the top ends of my 2 stroke enduro bike. Calling pure gasoline lower quality than E10 is ridiculous. It is also very uneducated. Marinas do not use the fuel because of the known problems that come with it. They only use high quality, higher energy output gasoline. E10 was designed as a winter mix fuel to reduce the chance of freezing when small amounts of water build up in gasoline. It has been known for many years that winter mix is an inferior fuel, with its only benefit being a lower chance of freezing in cold weather. The troll face you have in your profile signature is explaining to me the reason you choose to argue.

Actually no, I'm not trolling. Everything I said is factually accurate. :read:

I'm not sure where you get your "facts" from, but they're abhorrently inaccurate. To start with, winter and summer blends both contain ethanol. To say winter blends are created to protect against freezing is just plain ignorant. The only (major) difference in the blends is the EPA-mandated RVP constant they test for. In summer, with high temperatures fuel will too easily evaporate (and in the case of closed fueling systems, boil at one atmosphere) if this value is too high. It will vary a little depending on altitude though. In winter, this process is altered and you'll see fuels with a much higher constant since there's slimmer chance of evaporation due to colder ambient temperatures. Also another factor to remember is the closer in relation this number is to one earth atmosphere (14.7psi at sea level) the easier a fuel is to flash into a vapor. By that knowledge, winter blend is more "volatile" than summer blend and vice versa. If we used summer blend fuel year-round, colder climates would have many more issues with hard starting of vehicles.

Reformulated fuels containing ethanol are used in both seasons for on-road use. It is not "watered down" fuel. Unreformulated fuels used in marine and aviation applications are very expensive and not really viable for road use due to emissions and availability of components for blending. Given the choice, I'd take a reformulated gasoline that's better for my engine and lungs anyday, and so should you. The old wives' tales about power loss and melting fuel system components don't hold a grain of salt when we're talking about these low concentrations. Issues can arise from poor maintenance with ANY fuel. As far as power loss is concerned, the fact ethanol has a lower BTU rating than gasoline is mute point when you factor in cost per mile of operation and benefits that arise from a "properly" tuned vehicle plugging away on E10 fuel.

/random engineering guy that works in the petrochemical industry

Last edited:

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I was wondering what that face was.....now it makes sense mwehahahahaha. ya'll 2 are a trip with this back and forth :p

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Lol, it's all fine and dandy. Usually the trolling is pretty easy to see. I haven't recommended an electric turbocharger in awhile. :crazy:

Last edited:

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Ohhh. Too bad. I was hoping to see from your answer exactly which school of thought signs your paycheck...since you're in the "petrochemical science" industry. Guess I won't be so lucky.

Corn is food.