94 Blazer Build Part 2...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slick1

Reaction score
Got the passenger side front in today. Got a late start and was running out of light finishing up so driver's will have to wait, maybe tomorrow. I had to fight the top bolt out cause the tube and bolt were rusted together pretty good. I cut away the rotten bushing and just watched the whole thing spin. Ended up inching it with the side of a hammer and then using a little deep socket and the hammer to punch it through.

You must be registered for see images attach

The bottom bolt was a joy on and off and I've developed quite a fondness for it. I named him Petey and he's now my favorite part of the truck.

So I ran into another problem with the Superlift bushing kit. On the top they include 4 metal spacers, one for each side of the tube on top on either side of the bushing. One of the tubes was fine and the spacers fit like a glove. The other one was too big and none would fit. I had to open the spacers up with a Dremel to get them on.

Slick1

Reaction score
Had to shave down the ends too a bit but considering I had to bend the top bracket back straight I can't say if the tube was too long or it was just pinched a little. I'm leaning towards the bracket. Had to smack it in with a mallet and finesse the thing straight to get the bolt in and then mallet the bolt through

Noticed this while I was working so I gotta check on that. It's right under the reservoir though and the truck hasn't overheated.

More concerned about the oil leak(s) I noticed the other day. I'm getting a feint whiff of burning oil as well so as you can guess I'm pretty excited. Gotta do an oil change anyway so I'll clean it up and see.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check under the reservoir, I can't remember if there are any hoses on the bottom of it or not, but one may be loose. I had to move it out of the way to run the wires for the bumper lights, and remember that small leak once i had put it back in place. I never bothered with it since the temps stayed normal. Check the heater hoses on the firewall. I had to shorten them some when i did the new heater core as the rubber was all dry and cracked.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
More concerned about the oil leak(s) I noticed the other day. I'm getting a feint whiff of burning oil as well so as you can guess I'm pretty excited. Gotta do an oil change anyway so I'll clean it up and see.

I'd guess the hose that runs to the overflow bottle for the coolant. Oil is probably valve covers.... it's amazing how much oil can leak out the valve covers!

Slick1

Reaction score
Check under the reservoir, I can't remember if there are any hoses on the bottom of it or not, but one may be loose. I had to move it out of the way to run the wires for the bumper lights, and remember that small leak once i had put it back in place. I never bothered with it since the temps stayed normal. Check the heater hoses on the firewall. I had to shorten them some when i did the new heater core as the rubber was all dry and cracked.
As far as I can tell that's exactly where it's coming from. Those drops stayed in place the whole time I was working so it's not a big leak, although the reservoir is empty. I'm guessing it's something simple though. Oil is more concerning.
I'd guess the hose that runs to the overflow bottle for the coolant. Oil is probably valve covers.... it's amazing how much oil can leak out the valve covers!
Should I root for that being the case with the oil, as in easy enough fix? I saw a few drops in the driveway the day I noticed the leak but otherwise nothing, even since. It's coating everything under the truck but not dripping.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oil is more concerning.

Should I root for that being the case with the oil, as in easy enough fix? I saw a few drops in the driveway the day I noticed the leak but otherwise nothing, even since. It's coating everything under the truck but not dripping.

If I were you I degrease and power wash all that oil and start it up and look. Gm common for rear main seals and timing chain seal leaks. Valve covers are easy but can be a pain depending on your set up. Gm seems to use a rubber orange gasket for the covers

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
As far as I can tell that's exactly where it's coming from. Those drops stayed in place the whole time I was working so it's not a big leak, although the reservoir is empty. I'm guessing it's something simple though. Oil is more concerning.

There's a lot of surface area to soak up the oil, so it may not be dripping much. Also it burns on the exhaust manifolds.

I have not actually changed mine yet, but I'd rather do valve cover gaskets than anything else I can think of, that may leak.

Slick1

Reaction score
If I were you I degrease and power wash all that oil and start it up and look. Gm common for rear main seals and timing chain seal leaks. Valve covers are easy but can be a pain depending on your set up. Gm seems to use a rubber orange gasket for the covers

That's the plan. Figured I'd have an easier time seeing where it's coming from if I clean it all up. I read that some truck stops have washes that degrease and steam the underside and it's supposed to do the trick nicely. I have to google and see if there are any near me cause if so I'll probably go that route.

There's a lot of surface area to soak up the oil, so it may not be dripping much. Also it burns on the exhaust manifolds.

I have not actually changed mine yet, but I'd rather do valve cover gaskets than anything else I can think of, that may leak.

Well then hopefully that's what it is. The more minor a fix the better.

Unrelated to the oil the reason I haven't been driving the truck lately is the death wobble I'm getting at about 35 in the front. It used to do it every once in awhile but lately it's been every trip to some degree. The tires aren't balanced and need to be anyway so I'm hoping that's all it is. Nothing in the front end so far looks bad but I'm learning as I go with most of this stuff and might miss something a trained eye would catch.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you indeed have the death wobble I check all my front end bushings and ball joints and then bearings along with play in the steering. I replaced all mine and installed a steering stabilizer for shyts and giggles. Turned out I didnt need it. But mentally makes me feel like it's doing something lol